Why is chinese a dirty word?

really now, who cares if one mic is cheaper. its all about what you can do with the tools you have. the only reason nowdays i would buy a u47 is A: they are good sounding (but alot of other things these days can hold their own against them) and B: it looks damn nice in a gear list, which is somthing to think of when trying to rent your studio to freelance engineers.

to paraphrase the post i left unde the encouragment thread.... the most important thing is always ears.
you can make a crap mic sound good by understanding how to use it, you can make a 3k$ mic sound like ass by not using it right. all gear can sound good in my opinion. if somthing is harsh, dont use it on a source thats driving to much 2khz+, if somthing is noisy dont use it on a quiet source if somthing is muddy dont use it on a source thats 450hz or lower. the thing is, cheap mics seems to find a more narrow spot in versatility than an expensive one. i think i could do an entire session with a u47 and get could results on most takes where as i feel that if i were to do an entire session with my nt1 i would run into far more tonal conflicts at mix down. but if you gave me the option to pick a handfull of budget mics or a single u47 i would pick the budget mics which if used right on the right sources would yield a superior final product to the u47. hell for the price of the u47 id buy a couple cheap mics and a really nice couple of pres and blow the u47 out of the water. if you gave me a console built of ua 610s and apis i think i could ony use 57s and get a good end result ( how bad ass would a console with nothing but 610s for pres and eqs be, i trade both testicles for a 32 chan ua console if someone can build it with pg faders a good aux grouping and 16 ua buss outs)
blah blah, damn i ramble when ive had a few beers

anyways, any cheap gear can sound good as hell in the right hands, theres really no debate to it. better records have been made on worse gear than most of us will ever make. if they can do it....why cant we. i want the brian wilson ear mod.

Sonic Idiot said:
There's way too much talk and not enough action on the board. I'm posting sound clips and asking for opinions. I challenge anyone to really prove Chinese mics are bad, and not by just blowing hot steam. Put up. Let's hear how awful they sound. The proof is in the sound, not in smug answers based on nothing. If you have nothing to add, don't post. Please. I don't need to see stupid fucking emoticons like this: :rolleyes:

Great. Let's all go out and buy a bunch of sucky mics and make sound clips with them, just so we can argue properly with Sonic Idiot. That's a great idea.

talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,,,,,,,,,no action. At least I put a sucky file up, right chessy? Now I would call that balls.

lexdrummer said:
talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,talk,,,,,,,,,no action. At least I put a sucky file up, right chessy? Now I would call that balls.
sorry SI. I won't garbage up your post anymore.

lexdrummer said:
Oh jeez, you big moron, go to his website and listen to his demo reel. Then put your big mouth back in whatever cupboard you've been keeping it in for the last three years till now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

noisedude said:
Oh jeez, you big moron, go to his website and listen to his demo reel. Then put your big mouth back in whatever cupboard you've been keeping it in for the last three years till now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
if he uses a chinese microphone somewhere in there, please point it out and I would love to. I'm not bashing him. I wanna hear chinese microphones. Isn't that why we are here?

Sonic Idiot said:
The current state of this mic board begs the question? Are things "low end" by virtue of being made in China?

No. The problem with chinese mics have nothing at all to do with the mics. The problem is that so many people tend to believe the "hype" to the extent that they completely disreguard the more expensive mics (that have been around for centuries in comparison). Too many get emotinally involved and fail to think and reason for themselves. Expensive (pro) mics are made for a work environment where they are used far more than a home studio setting. The expensive mics are designed and built to a far better standard and are intended to suit a particular market. That is a fact and is undisputed. Arguing over chinese mic A vs. expensive mic A is not really applicable. People can say that a B1 sounds like a Neuman and, in their minds, they are right. If the mic works for you, use it. The problem is that users of expensive mics (like some of us) hear why the budget mics don't cut it FOR OUR PURPOSES. I need mics that are great sounding (don't have to fight to get a good mix) and are reliable. I have mics from the 70s that preform (and outperform) any of the chinese mics out there today.

Th upshot of this is:
If you are recording on a budget, you have no choice here. Recording is only a hobby. Get over it. Use what you find, like and afford.

If you are a pro in business, buy the expensive stuff because it WILL last longer, be more reliable and sound like what other pros are using. They are only tools of the trade.

There are exceptions like everything else, but all the pros I know who cater to the commercial trade use serious tools for their craft.

Sonic Idiot said:
Yeah, no politics. That's a can of worms.

There's way too much talk and not enough action on the board. I'm posting sound clips and asking for opinions. I challenge anyone to really prove Chinese mics are bad, and not by just blowing hot steam. Put up. Let's hear how awful they sound. The proof is in the sound, not in smug answers based on nothing. If you have nothing to add, don't post. Please. I don't need to see stupid fucking emoticons like this: :rolleyes:

Do not use those to add weight to your supreme wit and hilarious take on the postings, no, because that would be childish and not instructive. Rather, use sound.

Go to ANY music store. Buy ANY CD released by ANY artist on a MAJOR label. This sounds better than your recording. They use the expensive mics.

Done, Next?

wilkee said:
If anyone took their time to look at the two B1's (SP & Berry) they would find that they are both made in the same factory and basically use the same quality of components.
Anyone stating that one or the other is much better is talking "BOLLOXS" *.

Have you used these mics, wilkee? We took the time ... for over a year with both mics. The Behringer B-1 was such a piece of shit that I told the company I wasn't interested in reviewing it. The Studio Projects B1, on the other hand, is an excellent mic on the right applications. And we've reviewed it, recommended it, and used it on our own recordings.

I've used most of the Chinese-made mics on the market, and from my experience the SP B1 is a considerably better mic than the Behringer B-1. Dare I say...MUCH BETTER. : )

Dot said:
I've used most of the Chinese-made mics on the market, and from my experience the SP B1 is a considerably better mic than the Behringer B-1. Dare I say...MUCH BETTER. : )
I'd have to say you dared.

Back to the original question "why is chinese a dirty word".
I do not think "chinese" is a dirty work, and maybe there will be an essay on it.

However, "rotten fu**ing severed chinese c**ts and co**s" may be considered offensive to some, and therefore should be considered "bad words".

lexdrummer said:
At least I put a sucky file up, right chessy? Now I would call that balls.

I don't have anything against posting stuff done on Chinese mics. It's just that I've basically sold most, if not all of them over time, so unfortunately I have very little left to share.

I don't understand the value in posting this stuff. What good is something that I record going to do you, for example?

You coud use any one of my mics and it would still sound sucky if you stick the mic right up on your sound hole so it's all boomy, Lex. :D You see, I don't even know what kind of mic you're using in your clips, but I can tell right away how you're pointing it. What does that say, Lex?

Dot said:
Have you used these mics, wilkee? We took the time ... for over a year with both mics. The Behringer B-1 was such a piece of shit that I told the company I wasn't interested in reviewing it. The Studio Projects B1, on the other hand, is an excellent mic on the right applications. And we've reviewed it, recommended it, and used it on our own recordings.

I own and use both regularly otherwise I would not be so willing to put in my penny's worth, unlike a lot of pepes on this Forum.
IMHO you are wrong or you had a bad example of a Berry B1, BUT I can respect your view because you at least have listened to the products unlike a lot of morons (got that from Noisy Dude) that would not know a Berry B1 if it bit them in the Balls.
I am willing to bet that with the examples I have, not too many people would be able to tell them apart when auditioned blind, I know have great difficulty, but maybe my ears are Fuc*ed :)

Tony

Here's another clip. 7.5megs. Acorec has convinced me that my recordings will never sound as good as all that great stuff major labels are putting out these days. I hear that new Hillary Duff single used some Sweeeeet ass micpres. Yet, I must move on.

www.dullum.net/Gclip.wav

You can bash away at it, but please tell me what is so sub par about it. If you're going to post, please contribute something useful, not blanket statements about how homerecording.org's board suffers because Acorec was born with a small penis. I mean, try and avoid blanket statements about how if it's not expensive, it just can't possibly be good. Or how you've "tried all the chinese mics and none of them make Acorec's penis bigger."

And if you don't like the terms of the post:

A) Don't post.

-or-

B) Make your own stupid post, I did!

I had to edit this because I mistook Chessrock for Acorec, and the names had to be changed to protect Chessrock's penis.

P.S. Acorec will now be referred to by me as Acorndick

Last edited:
chessrock said:
I don't have anything against posting stuff done on Chinese mics. It's just that I've basically sold most, if not all of them over time, so unfortunately I have very little left to share.

I don't understand the value in posting this stuff. What good is something that I record going to do you, for example?

You coud use any one of my mics and it would still sound sucky if you stick the mic right up on your sound hole so it's all boomy, Lex. :D You see, I don't even know what kind of mic you're using in your clips, but I can tell right away how you're pointing it. What does that say, Lex?

It says I was looking for a specific tone. This is art....or is it sterility oneness, we all sound the same?

Sonic Idiot said:
Here's another clip. 7.5megs. Acorec has convinced me that my recordings will never sound as good as all that great stuff major labels are putting out these days. I hear that new Hillary Duff single used some Sweeeeet ass micpres. Yet, I must move on.

www.dullum.net/Gclip.wav

You can bash away at it, but please tell me what is so sub par about it. If you're going to post, please contribute something useful, not blanket statements about how homerecording.org's board suffers because Acorec was born with a small penis. I mean, try and avoid blanket statements about how if it's not expensive, it just can't possibly be good. Or how you've "tried all the chinese mics and none of them make Acorec's penis bigger."

And if you don't like the terms of the post:

A) Don't post.

-or-

B) Make your own stupid post, I did!

I had to edit this because I mistook Chessrock for Acorec, and the names had to be changed to protect Chessrock's penis.

P.S. Acorec will now be referred to by me as Acorndick

And now you have completed the usual cycle here at HR.com.

You have no useful argument, so you resort to name calling etc. Well done! You seem to fit right in and will be called to moderate the new "Behringer Forum" that will be started sometime in the fall.

acorec said:
And now you have completed the usual cycle here at HR.com.

You have no useful argument, so you resort to name calling etc. Well done! You seem to fit right in and will be called to moderate the new "Behringer Forum" that will be started sometime in the fall.
well put Acorndick

Back