Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

ewegogetemtiger said:
At the moment there's not a lot you can do on the Mac version. I think it will be next year before the Mac version is up to the PC version...my impression is that the Mac dev. has not progressed as fast as they envisioned.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING codes any slower (or faster) than Justin envisions.

Check the projected timeline for mac reaper to catch up ( q4 2007 ) and, if you saw how far Justin coded reaper in just the first two or three weeks, you'll see there is no issue with this envisioned time.

He must sit there with a big pot of coffee and maybe a little speed, working on Reaper 24/7. Because how often he has updates, and the kind of work involved in making those updates would take (me, personally) at least a week!

Or he just types a couple thousand words per minute. I just downloaded the latest version recently and I'm already several updates behind. :eek:

pipelineaudio said:
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING codes any slower (or faster) than Justin envisions.

Check the projected timeline for mac reaper to catch up ( q4 2007 ) and, if you saw how far Justin coded reaper in just the first two or three weeks, you'll see there is no issue with this envisioned time.
Okay, Pipe, I'll take your word for it. :cool:

BTW I want to say thanks to the Mac community for being far more patient about this stuff than I would have thought. We've had great luck so far with Mac users downloading and testing the MacREAPER versions and giving very good feedback, detailing the good and the bad, and I promise, you will be rewarded soon with a version of REAPER you can use without switching to PC.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
If he's anything like most master coders I've known, it's more likely Mountain Dew and M&Ms ;) :D

G.

Ha, definitely Mt Dew. That's all I drink. :cool: M&M's aren't bad either. ;)

For me it's workflow. Pro Tools to me works a lot like a mixer... channels have busses, insert points, etc. The edit window is very easy to grasp and familiar. It's just so frigging easy to use. I'll admit to downloading and trying Reaper and seeing some possibilities there. But what I saw the most in it was the price... it did so much for such a low price. I think if it cost the same amount as the other players, Cubase, Sonar, etc. there would be a lot more pressure for the GUI to catch up.

Sound quality is not an issue, I think. A good engineer can make excellent albums on a 4-track cassette recorder.

Like someone else mentioned, does it matter which hammer you use to pound a nail? My hammer works for me, so I stick with it. I've tried other hammers but mine still feels right to me.

For me in the early days of REAPER it was workflow too. Finally getting an app that worked like a patchbay. PT was always out of the question because it cant show contents of events as they moved, its metering and PDC issues. Other apps couldnt match the better parts of PT's routing, but with REAPER it was meant to go all the way to patchbay and beyond.

I have a PTHD7 system, ALWAYS had a PT system, and usually it is for renting out to others. I never found an app that I could use, as someone coming from a tape/console/patchbay paradigm. I worked as hard as I could with developers of DAW's but seriously, most have never seen the inside of a studio or had any idea what it was like to use their product in front of paying customers.

For ten years and more I've begged and pleaded with DAW makers to get a clue to what its like in a high track count/high pressure environment and they were mostly deaf ears.

Its kind of telling that when you compare reaper to apps of unimaginably HORRIBLY limited routing, the gui is what you mention! But this can help explain why most of this software is as limited as it is.

plugin delay compensation. Starting with PTHD this problem is GREATLY minimized, but still precludes using TDM and VST plugs in the same track in some cases. Also, last I checked (so this could be different now) there was a max number of samples that could be allocated for PDC per card or per DSP (cant remember which)

Aahh. Pro Tools LE actually has had "plugin delay compensation" for some time... they just don't call it that. As long as your plugins are delayed by less than the amount of your edit buffer.

I did a null test on this over a year ago... this was with PTLE 6.4 I believe, but I' reasonably confident the feature was in there since version 5.something.

Here's the link:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1998388&postcount=46

Yeah, LE is a different animal (in some cases better) than the DSP system. But when customers insist on PT, its usually the DSP systems, not the native ones. There are some crazy threads about using reaper's rearoute in tandem with LE to give LE more hardware inouts! We're exploring this, hopefully so we end up with a way to let LE users keep and use the interface they're familiar with, while at the same time allowing unlimited hardware I/O and access to the ReaMote system, so that the pinch of not having DSP will be non existant.

pipelineaudio said:
For one thing, if you live in an area full of suckers like I do, you can rent out PT systems to conservatory grad kids for more than your studio rate per day, as we do.

Suckers? It is unfortunate that you have such a low and cynical opinion of your customers. Perhaps you should let them know how you feel when you take their money.

Reilley said:
Suckers? It is unfortunate that you have such a low and cynical opinion of your customers. Perhaps you should let them know how you feel when you take their money.

It is what it is brotha! They are suckers if they do that :D But Reaper is doing opposite of what the big companies are doing,he might say that they are suckers but the actions are totaly different.

BTW i dont really know Pipeline,i just call it how i see it.

How bout protools? They laughing it up ,dont get me started on Cubase ,lol

Hey i have a new Signature pic :D

Reilley said:

Dont worry, I DO...

I LOVE recording

I sacrificed a LOT for it. In vain...I paid my dues, since the end of the 80's. In vain so yeah there's some sour grapes

Now its a pile of crap, and the conservatory kids do it for a bit, then give up and sell whatever they bought for half the price they bought it for to the next chump conservatory kids....wait I should say, the parents of these chumps sell to the parents of the next chumps

anyhow

Its a downward spiral of crap, and every few months as the sound quality of what you hear on the radio actually goes DOWN you can see the vets have thrown their hands up and allowed the foxes to run the henhouse

Also, the rates are in a downward spiral, since trustafarians dont need money to live, and especially when they can get gear so cheap. You really run into the situation where a kid has a 9000 in his parens pool room for 10 dollars an hour!

Now, you could be a real douche and say "well the bands will go to the better engineer no matter what the price" but history has shown that to be false in EVERY market in the US which has lost its working musicians. Kids, and their parents that are living thru them will almost always go to the cheapest, and certainly will pick friends from school to record them over anyone else.

Now, these guys turn out crap

Total squashed, compressed, hammered, mashed up, mono, bassless, pushed mid dogshit that a mastering lab wont touch.

Theyre also suckers who have drilled into them that ONLY what is currently advertised in Mix mag will allow them to record. They actually paid a school to do this drilling for them.

They are suckers by definition

Like it or not, you would be LYING if you didnt admit that the choice of DAW for suckers worldwide is PT

Its in guitar mags, on TV, in movies...Bands dont know how to tune their guitars but they heard that Joe Blow pop40 recorded in PT

Im not saying it isnt also the choice of quite competent, capable people. It IS. But it is also, and FIRMLY the only DAW known by name to suckers

Thats who rents it...we have a nice system.

We also have good stuff for rent, which is even more telling by the fact that the suckers DONT rent the other stuff.

pipelineaudio said:
Dont worry, I DO...
Theyre also suckers who have drilled into them that ONLY what is currently advertised in Mix mag will allow them to record. They actually paid a school to do this drilling for them.

They are suckers by definition
Uhh, last time I read it, pretty much everything except Reaper was advertised in Mix mag. So is it your point that every app that has advertising money is for suckers?
Like it or not, you would be LYING if you didnt admit that the choice of DAW for suckers worldwide is PT
Hmm... I use PT and consider it a worthy tool for my work. I wouldn't consider myself a sucker.

Are you really going to argue that a guy who uses a Craftsman hammer instead of a Stanley is a worse person?

charger said:
Hmm... I use PT and consider it a worthy tool for my work. I wouldn't consider myself a sucker.

Are you really going to argue that a guy who uses a Craftsman hammer instead of a Stanley is a worse person?

No, which is why I stated clearly in the next line

"Im not saying it isnt also the choice of quite competent, capable people. It IS."

Back