why does the firepod need so much gain?

djclueveli

why does the presonus firepod need so much gain even on condeser mics to get a decent signal. i sometimes have to turn the gain knob to 4 oclock to get a decent signal and i know i'm not the only firepod user with this problem. should i still take it to get repaired or is this how it is designed beccause my is still kinda brand new? i use a shure ksm27 to record vocals.

Everyone Ive spoke to about this has to turn the gain knob up a good deal to get good signals into Firepod. This doesnt mean tha gain is far up it just means the knob is far up. :)

I think it was designed this way becuase they didnt add pad buttons to the pre amps. It means that most sources will not be too loud for the pre-amps.

Eck

yes this is normal.. I had to do the same for things like vocals and acoustic guitars.. not so much for drums..

the firepod worked well for me for a little over a year.. but i hope you guys have better luck than i did with it.. and i hope you live in the states or else you won't get much in form of customer service

Well what happened to it? It worked well for a little over a year...you hope others have better luck...hope we live in the States....so what went wrong with your pod?

yes this is normal.. I had to do the same for things like vocals and acoustic guitars.. not so much for drums..

the firepod worked well for me for a little over a year.. but i hope you guys have better luck than i did with it.. and i hope you live in the states or else you won't get much in form of customer service

Yeah what happened to your Firepod?
Did the pre-amps start to crackle? Or did it just stop working?
Did you maybe forget to download the latest driver from the presonus firepod website?

Eck

no I got what many refer to as the red light of doom..... it refuses to sync up to my computer anymore.. all the latest drivers could not fix it..

after much research i found that it is an all too common situation.. if it happens while you have warrenty they'll fix it.. and if you live in the states apparently even after your warrenty they'll fix it for around 100$ flat (and they basically put all new guts inside so it's like a brand new one)

however i live in canada and they won't touch it... they send me to this company that wanted 95 just to LOOK at the damn thing then it's 95$ an hour plus parts plus shipping.. he said it would likely be a minimum of 200$ plus shipping but he couldn't be sure.. so i said fuck it and now i'm working with a delta 1010 and i love it. (the 1010 is alot easier on my shitty computer then the pod was)

I don't mean to bash the firepod... while it was working i LOVED it and swore by it.. but i'm wierd with stuff.. if stuff completely fails on me like this (including the company failing to help me out) I usually won't trust it anymore.

up until this i was even planning on either upgraded to the firestudio or buying another pod.. and told this to the tech guys but still nothing.. guess they don't want my business

Back