Why does my vocal track speed up?

Here's my computer specs: Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.20 GHz, 2.19 GHz, 256 MB of RAM. Free space on C Disc: 5.10 GB, Free Space on F Disc: 4.29 GB.

I've never had a problem running CEP except when I was down to about 1 GB of space, which would cause the program to shut down a lot. Once I freed up space, it's been working just fine.

Yes, I do have back ups of my files so I can tinker with the sample rate. I will try the conversion process solo.guitar mentioned and see if that fixes it. Will let you know.

Okay...I just tried the suggestion made by solo.guitar, but it didn't work. Here's a recap of exactly what I did in case I didn't do something correctly.

1. Imported mp3 backing into CEP
2. Saved as: pcm raw data (don't know how to convert to a different kind of file without saving it and reloading it)
3. Imported pcm raw data file into CEP
4. In Edit View went to Edit < Convert Sample Type < clicked 48000 then okay
5. Convert Sample Type < Clicked 41000 then okay
6. Saved as a new file: pcm raw data
7. Imported back into CEP
8. Recorded a new vocal track to the new backing....same problem exists.

Maybe I didn't use the correct kind of wav file? Also, did I do too many steps here?

Too many steps, yeah.

Here, try this. Open the session with your backing tracks in Multitrack. Right click on the first track so that it's highlighted and take it into Edit View. In Edit View, click Edit>Convert Sample Type. You'll get a popup. In the sample rate window, select 48000; in the channel window, choose mono or stereo according to whatever the track is; in the resolution window, choose 32-bit; in the Dither window, enable dithering; pdf's not important particularly, but triangular works for me. Click Okay. You've now saved that track at a sample rate of 48000, which is what your new soundcard is recording everything at.

Now go back into multitrack and repeat the procedure with each track until they've all been converted to 48000. Then save the whole session.

Now, try the new vocal in that session. Does it work? This might work, cuz now you've ensured that *every* track in the session is at the same sample rate that your new soundcard likes: 48000. Everything's being sampled at the same rate; everything should play back together the way it should.

Redhead1 said:
Here's my computer specs: Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.20 GHz, 2.19 GHz, 256 MB of RAM. Free space on C Disc: 5.10 GB, Free Space on F Disc: 4.29 GB.

I've never had a problem running CEP except when I was down to about 1 GB of space, which would cause the program to shut down a lot. Once I freed up space, it's been working just fine.

Yes, I do have back ups of my files so I can tinker with the sample rate. I will try the conversion process solo.guitar mentioned and see if that fixes it. Will let you know.

Hi...also..please consider doubling your ram? (at least?)
You'll get it right, with the info here, eventually!!

I converted my backing to a wav file and did everything on here Dobro suggested and it worked!!!! Yea!!! Jumpin' up and down and smiling!!

Thanks so much for all the help everyone...thank you Dobro!!

Back