why does it seem that cep's track eq's are garbage?!

LordSire

I hear people talking about effectively using eq by only boosting and/or notching by a couple of dbs. But why is it when i use cep's default track eq, I have to use close to 7 or 8 dbs to hear any immediate effect on the track? Even if i solo out the track and carefully listen, there is really no definite change in sound until i reach the 7db mark. Especially when i tweak "in the mix", while all other components of the song are playing. I nearly have to hit the 15 and 16db mark(sometimes more!?) in order to achieve a specific and/or desired sound.

What gives? Is this the reason some (a lot) of engineeres USE so many seperate plugs? Because some of the default fx and the such for certain daw applications just dont cut the mustard? Is this the case with cool edit? (2.1, btw) Because believe me. I'm not hitting these db levels on cep's eq without some noticable degradation and/or undesireble, robotic, telephonic sound effect happening after i reach these levels. It's starting to become frustrating.

Can anyone offer some assistance/answers?

Maybe try reading up on how EQ actualy works and try CUTTING the offending freqs instead of boosting them. If you have to go more than a few Db in any direction chances are it wasn't tracked properly in the first place.

I disagree. I use Adobe Auditions 30band EQ, and it works great.

Could it possibly be your ears aren't mature enough to hear the subtle differences?

I'll answer both questions in one.

I understand the mature ear comment very well, and definitely WHY it was mentioned. I myself even gave a split second thought of that being a SMALL consideration. But modestly, i can honestly say that's not it. Definite maturity in these old ears of mine. I may not be able to tell exactly WHAT i'm hearing on certain stuff, But i can damn sure tell that im hearing something different, period.

I hear a lot about the tracking situation. I got a question. Can someone explain to me, or give me a good description and/or example of what's poor vocal tracking? I myself may not be having this problem. But i would like to hear a few opinions for future reference. My vocals, btw, may suffer from bad acoustics from lack of bass traps (mainly). But as far as proper mic techniques, I'm pretty good at that. And if i have any fluctuations, they're minor; and easily compensated with a little dynamic riding on my waveform.

And if im recording from, lets say, my keyboard thru a line input; if you're not inaudible, and you're not clipping, how can you have bad tracking?

With a synth, bass or any other kind of sound, i still have to move towards the 6 or 7 mark before i hear a NOTICABLE difference in sound. Especially like i said before; when the other components are playing at the same time. Now yeah. if i solo it out, i can hear subtle differences in sound changing around 3 0r 4 dbs. But those changes are NEVER heard in the mix itself. You can't even hear it affect the "sound" of the song.

LordSire said:
With a synth, bass or any other kind of sound, i still have to move towards the 6 or 7 mark before i hear a NOTICABLE difference in sound. Especially like i said before; when the other components are playing at the same time. Now yeah. if i solo it out, i can hear subtle differences in sound changing around 3 0r 4 dbs. But those changes are NEVER heard in the mix itself. You can't even hear it affect the "sound" of the song.

If you can't hear it your ears definately have room to grow. Maybe if they are old ears they are defected but having to boost any freq by 7/8 Db is a very bad sign.

I mostly use the 3 band eq if i want to do a low cut or something....and yes...ill probably drop the low end 8 or 10 db...but if i want to boost the highs a bit, I can most definatly hear 2 or 3 db.

edit: Just to double check myself...I just loaded a session to take a look at my 3 band track EQ and I saw 4 tracks where the highs were boosted by less than 3db...there was one that was boosted 4.4db

If it's not your ears (as you claim) then I'd say it's your monitoring setup. It certainly isn't a problem with CEP that I've ever run into.

Change of POETS said:
If it's not your ears (as you claim) then I'd say it's your monitoring setup. It certainly isn't a problem with CEP that I've ever run into.

Me neither...and I've been using it for several years

Back