Why does EQ push my vocals back?

CastleRecordz

So... my vocals (when dry) will sound clear, on top of the mic, but somewhat bassy and rumbling at times. Here is when equalizing comes in. But as soon as I take that rumble out, now my vocals are pushed back away from the mix. How do I get them back up there--sitting on top of the mix?​

Could it be a loss of low heft' = feels closer' effect? (Oops.. = not closer effect
In that case I'd be looking for more finely targeted cuts on the unwanted so as to not blindly cut where it's not needed.
Can't think of another reason. (you said dry' so I assuming some close reflections/delay is not in this mix here

lower the levels of everything else in the mix. Or as suggested make more "targeted" cuts and not just hi-pass the track.

you could also go back to the tracking process. How close are you to the mic? If your getting to much rumble, try backing off a few inches.

The bulk of the signal is in the bottom end rumble. When you eq it out you disappear... Stand back and rerecord it

Ahh... I think that is it. Thanks!
lower the levels of everything else in the mix. Or as suggested make more "targeted" cuts and not just hi-pass the track.

you could also go back to the tracking process. How close are you to the mic? If your getting to much rumble, try backing off a few inches.

Back