Why do people hang their condenser microphones upside down?

Lately I've just been keeping the studio the right way up and hanging the singer from the ceiling! :eek:

It's great fun when they ask for a glass of water.
hahahahaha I was just cracking up and my wife looks over at me like I'm crazy.. I read it to her and bust out laughing again.. I don't think she got it. lol now it's twice as funny

Lately I've just been keeping the studio the right way up and hanging the singer from the ceiling! :eek:

It's great fun when they ask for a glass of water.

But then you will get your mic wet!! :eek:

I prefer this picture myself. It is actually my mic, and was taken by a photographer that was in my studio this past weekend. I'm afraid to post it on my website, cuz it looks like I stole the pic. lol

Attachments

• Shure SM7b 3.JPG
    Shure SM7b 3.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 174
That's a belter pic, bro.

Actually, the photographer is going to send me pics with his logo attached. I had him take a few shots of my studio, while he was doing a video shoot last weekend. They look great, but I forgot to dust, so the clarity made many shots look like I'm a pig. Reality sucks! lol

I haven't updated my website in over a year, so figured it was time for some updated pix. Wish I would have cleaned up a bit tho....

so the clarity made many shots look like I'm a pig. Reality sucks! lol

I had a whole post full of one-liners about your studio and then the computer fritzed out and I lost em all. Oh well... Too lazy to write them all down again.

I think they only need to be upside down if you have a stand attached to the ceiling or above you in some way which I've never had. If not might as well make it more familiar by setting it up the way it would be used in a live situation. :thumbs up:

A bit off-topic, but it seems that more often than not in live situations you'll have a boom stand with a clip that is either loose or stripped so that the mic wants to point at the floor. If you flip the boom arm over so that the clip is "upside down", the body of the mic hits the arm and stays put better. Course then the boom clutch starts to slip...

I had a whole post full of one-liners about your studio and then the computer fritzed out and I lost em all. Oh well... Too lazy to write them all down again.

LOL! Well, you have been here, so you know. It has been quite a while tho. Things have changed a bit. Well, not my laziness a far as cleanliness...

Keep in mind if you hang the mic inverted from the normal position, the phase invert/polarity (+/-) switch will need to be changed to correspond with the direction change of the audio electron flow, up versus down. However, if you use a mic with a figure 8 pattern and hang the mic inverted, then use the backside of the mic to avoid having to change the phase/polarity switch. :D

This does pose the question of what to do if the mic is placed horizontally... :eek:

Horizontal positioning is best reserved for recording sessions on or near the equator. The audio electron flow is clockwise north of the equator and anti clockwise here in the southern hemisphere. However, around the equator the electron flow becomes totally linear with the corresponding increase in quality. This is part of the reason for the number of high end studios located on tropical islands.

Horizontal positioning is best reserved for recording sessions on or near the equator. The audio electron flow is clockwise north of the equator and anti clockwise here in the southern hemisphere. However, around the equator the electron flow becomes totally linear with the corresponding increase in quality. This is part of the reason for the number of high end studios located on tropical islands.

Oh my....

If yur' a noob you'll be very wise to ignore this post :)

Oh no, what do I do?? What do I do?? Panic attack..... Am I a noob??

I've heard one reason being is to avoid the guitar the singer might be using or a second mic on the guitar.

The Coriolis effect is audible! And I, in my ignorance, never knew it. Oh, the ignominy!

Everyone knows that an upside down mike sounds better than a right way up one. It gives a more analog warmth to the sound because of hot air rising

Part of the reason I hang my ldc upside down is not just coz it looks cool but it lessens the voice reflecting off the mic body too.
Great thread :laughings:

Back