Why do Mp3 uploads suck when played back?

roadwarrior

I've recently began a site located on the www.purevolume.com site. I've listened to tons of others stuff there and they all sound superb sonically. Mine on the other hand have excessive wow and flutter sounding more like a bad tape recorder of the days gone by. I tried uploading the originals and converting to various different Mp3 rates all the way up to 192bps and to no avail. Anyone have experience with how to resolve such an issue? As I said it seems that I'm about the only one with sucky audio quality. The original Mp3 files always sound great...just not after uploading and listening to them however. My particular site is at http://www.purevolume.com/hisway HELLLLLLLPPPPPPP

I'm pretty sure Pure Volume plays streaming files that are very low quality. So, even if you upload a 320kbps mp3, it's probably playing back at like 64kbps (that is, their player re-encodes your mp3 at a lower rate). If you dowload the mp3 from the site, it should be better than the streaming file.

Professionally recorded, mixed, and mastered songs tend to hold up a little better under such degradation, but home mixes really suffer and I'm not entirely sure why. Probably has to do with the quality of the original mix, unresolved phase issues, etc. Still, pro mixes will undoubtedly have washy cymbals at 64kbps.

A few sites out there like purevolume and myspace stream at crappy quality. This is why I've never understood the popularity of myspace.

TravisinFlorida said:
A few sites out there like purevolume and myspace stream at crappy quality. This is why I've never understood the popularity of myspace.

It's fast.

The average user doesn't notice enough difference to care, especially since they normally hear their music from the radio first ;) (and not that new HD radio either)

If its music that they can hear for free at a decently noticable quality that is all an average listener will care about at the moment.

I actually found that PureVolumes current player doesn't sound all that bad when listening to it for background music purposes in headphones while doing some intensive college school work ;)

Sloan said:
It's fast.

Right... but that just means we get served crap quicker. If a happy meal was moldy, would you like it any better if it was served really quickly? :D

vomit

mp3s suck. girls in offices smoke cigarettes and listen to shit music on their ipods. the world is in shambles. let them die.

roadwarrior said:
I've recently began a site located on the www.purevolume.com site. I've listened to tons of others stuff there and they all sound superb sonically. Mine on the other hand have excessive wow and flutter sounding more like a bad tape recorder of the days gone by. I tried uploading the originals and converting to various different Mp3 rates all the way up to 192bps and to no avail. Anyone have experience with how to resolve such an issue? As I said it seems that I'm about the only one with sucky audio quality. The original Mp3 files always sound great...just not after uploading and listening to them however. My particular site is at http://www.purevolume.com/hisway HELLLLLLLPPPPPPP

Ive used pure volume but hate it...its not helped by the fact i sue laptop speakers obviously, but youre dead right, qulaity suffers incredibly.

btw roadwarrior, you might want to try soundclick. it's as ugly as a kentucky prom queen but the stream rate is 128 kbps and is'nt painful to listen too.

i find that my mixes suck ass before and after they are mp3's.

i still like to blame it on the mp3 encoding.

i just don't tell many people the truth! ;)

Sloan said:
It's fast.

oh yes- plenty fast unless its 8:00PM on a Thursday night and everyone and their mother is bogging down the server, trying to contact everyone in the world to find out what is going on for friday night.

all of these sites are garbage to me. i have tiny computer speakers set up for computer noises etc and i use my monitors for winamp and mixing. myspace is probably the best deal because you can allow users to download the mp3, whereas on soundclick they have to go through the stupid registration process. purevolume is the slowest site in the world for me.

Yeah, I've noticed that any imbalance in a mix gets magnified when it's reduced in resolution by Myspace, or even by mp3s. Ironic that you have to work all the harder on mixing to cater to the needs of low resolution listeners.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Yeah, I've noticed that any imbalance in a mix gets magnified when it's reduced in resolution by Myspace, or even by mp3s. Ironic that you have to work all the harder on mixing to cater to the needs of low resolution listeners.

Tim

yeah! the hell with low resolution listeners!

frickin worthless none-audiophiles.

roadwarrior said:

Ah...the reality of digital music.

You are already aware that analog is infinite (tho limited by the human ear at ~18Hz to 20kHz, the human ear can still detect sounds that the best microphones still can't capture). Digital is finite (limited by bits).

16 & 24 bit CDs cannot capture the infinitessmal hearing range between >18Hz to 20kHz, so digital has to do 2 things:

1. due to bit limitations, Digital clips phase angle relationships (meaning you can hear left and right but the phase angles of 3D depth perception - or a sound mixed in to appear 10 feet away is gone), so nearly all of the 3D depth perception is eliminated and what remains is a flat, 1D sound like a drawing on a piece of paper. (listen to Dark Side of the Moon on CD and a 1st class album stamping on Phono with headphones to see what I mean).

2. due to bit limitations, Digital also clips the bass and the highs. Bass has to be clipped because its soundwaves are very large and is a huge bit-hog (thus the need for subwoofers to exagerate the existing bass frequency that remains). Highs need to be clipped to save bits for the middle range - which is why cymbals sound cold and brassy compared to Analog. So right off the bat, you now understand the digital CD has inferior sound quality when compared to an album or reel-to-reel tape.

Now, each time a copy is made, further degradation occurs exponentially. The 2nd generation copy is inferior to its mother copy - even when using identically set parameters of the mother copy. With analog, there is more tape hiss and with digital, there is further clipping of lows & highs and there's more "mud" (for a lack of a better term).

Now to save server space, many of these sites use inferior settings from its mother copies which further degrades the quality.

Digital (odd order distortion) will mathematically never be able approximate Analog (even order distortion) to the human ear and the human ear will always be able to tell the difference between the two. The trade off of Digital to Analog is: musical purity is lost for the convenience of affordibility and features.

I remember back when I was a kid in the 60s & 70s that we used to get kits to make our own tube amps and our own parametric EQs to get the best possible sound from our records and reel-to-reels. Kids today could care less about how music sounds - they want portability.

Why one would want to listen to crappy sounding mp3s which promote hearing fatigue is beyond me...but then again, we carried those little crappy portable transister radios around in the 60s & 70s because crappy sound was better than no sound...

DY

Last edited:
Back