Why do EMG humbuckers don't fit on Stratocasters?

Colwarter

I have a fender stratocaster and a fender toronado along with a mesa boogie single rectifier. I want to get that loud and heavy guitar sounds that most modern bands have. (Simple plan, New Found Glory, etc...) I know I can get that sound with a gibson, but I like the playability and look of a Fender. I know also that both New Found Glory and Simple Plan play Fender. So I thought I could customize mines with an EMG on the bridge. Steve Klein from NFG has white EMG's on his strat and it rocks a lot. But, because of the screws, I can't put an EMG humbucker on my strat or toronado. Do you have any suggestion on how I could put an EMG humbucker on my strat? Another solution is I could get the Seymour Ducan SH-6 and get white pickup covers...

Ya, those sounds come from overdubbing their guitars on the record.

they might use EMGs, but it isn't the key to the sound. You seen them live before? Almost no poppunk band sounds like their records.

Also, what is this screw problem? The guitar is made of wood. People have screwed things into wood for centuries. Whats the problem? I know it might not fit the original hole, but that is what customization is all about. And in this case it is hardly an issue. If you don't like it you will have a tiny screw hole. Thats how shit goes. And personally, unless there is some serious monetary value/sentimental value, a screw hole wouldn't bother me. It would just remind me how hard I searched to achieve my current sound. trial and error. Hell, you should see my LesPaul.... :p

Okay i will reformulate lol... I did not ask my question correctly. How could I customize my Strat or Toronado to have a heavier sound, more like a gibson? I think changing the pickups wound make a huge difference, don't you think?

Colwarter said:
Okay i will reformulate lol... I did not ask my question correctly. How could I customize my Strat or Toronado to have a heavier sound, more like a gibson? I think changing the pickups wound make a huge difference, don't you think?

Only if you change them to something hotter and preferably humbucker. Are your current pickups single coil or humbuckers?

If they are humbuckers, then you might need to consider that while new pickups might sound different, it very likely won't be night and day interms of 'thickness'.

Outlaws said:
Also, what is this screw problem? The guitar is made of wood. People have screwed things into wood for centuries. Whats the problem? I know it might not fit the original hole, but that is what customization is all about. And in this case it is hardly an issue. If you don't like it you will have a tiny screw hole. Thats how shit goes. And personally, unless there is some serious monetary value/sentimental value, a screw hole wouldn't bother me. It would just remind me how hard I searched to achieve my current sound. trial and error.
The screw problem is that on an EMG pickup, there is just one hole at each side, and on a stratocaster, at one side there is one hole, but at the other side there is two hole, so I can't put an EMG here. Remember i'm talking about humbuckers.

This might be a little simple, but how far is your pickup (the metal poles) from the string? (when its depressed at the highest fret)

Turn the screw and get it a little closer to the string. Not too close, but close enough. That can dramatically improve your sound.

Colwarter said:
thanks for the trick;) do you think it would be necessary to change my pickups?

Its all subjective. If they are stock pickups form a Mexican strat, then I guess it couldn't hurt. Plus it sounds like you are set on that. Just remember you are looking for more output. So when you are reading about which ones to get, that is what you need.

Outlaws said:
?

Why not just drill it? put the pickup in there and use a black sharpie to mark your spot.

I don't know maybe he wants to get fancy. Warmoth will drill the holes so their countersunk or flush to the pickguard. Like SRV.

Pickups are just part of the equation. I recently put a good bridge, bone nut, and new tuners in a friends strat and the guitar came alive like you wouldn't believe. There are humbuckers made to fit in a single coil rout as well. Both Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan offer several models for different applications. It may take awhile for you to find that 'right' sound. I still swap pickups on some of my guitars searching for the perfect tone.

You won't be satisfied. Perhaps for a week or 2 you'll think YEAH this sounds great! Then you calm down and find out you're still playing a fender, just a tad heavier one.

Colwarter said:
I'll have to drill the wood of the guitar too i think

you're probably right. i have a cyclone and when i put a new humbucker in it, i had to take some wood out because the original pickups weren't as deep and therefore the holes for the pickups weren't deep enough.

My MIA Strat already had a channel wide enough to take the humbuckers when I changed out the single coils. I got a pickguard for HB's and new volume and tone controls plus a tele switch, now if I ever want to change it back it will be quick and simple.

Hey if you guys want EMGs on your Strats, you can always find the Kirk Hammet EMGs which are already installed on a pickguard. Then you can just bring it home and screw the pickguard in, and connect the wires. :D

once you have routed a space for then in the body of the strat that is.

You can buy humbucker pickups that are the size of single coils for using in strats - DiMarzio do them I'm sure others do. This might be an easy option for you.

The only way to get the humbucking EMGs into a strat is to route the body and cut out a bigger hole in the pickguard also...

Back