Why direct box?

natmj

If my Marshall has a line out on the back, why can't I just plug it straight into my eight-track? Why do I want a direct box?

Like we just talked about in the thread started by Sabbath TODAY...plug your headphones into your amp (if there's a jack for it) and play. This will be very similar to the sound you get on tape (or wherever) using the line out plug. BAD. The clean channel will sound ok, but distortion will sound horrible and un-natural.

MUCH of your sound comes from the power amp, cabinet, speaker, and of course the AIR that's thumping on your ears. A direct line out of your amp will only give you the raw preamp phase of your system.

A direct box attempts to simulate a fully driven amplifier AND cabinet. In other words, it is designed to sound pretty close the sound you'd get out of your amp...which is the sound you want of course. Some do it better than others. Check out the POD from line6. Definately the most recommened DI box on the market.

If you're not easily convinced, then go ahead and plug your amp right into your recording source and try to have fun.

BTW, make sure it's really a line level output and not a power output designed to work a cabinet or shit's gonna blow up real fast.

Slackmaster 2000

[This message has been edited by Slackmaster2K (edited 03-02-2000).]

So are multi-effects/cabinet sims the same as DI boxes? Then what are the DI boxes that have impedance conversion or whatever but don't have a cainbet sim used for?

Hi all--just a bit of clarification. DI, which stands for Direct Injection, is a device made to take a signal source, usually a high impedance (guitar) or a line source and then convert that signal to a line (+4) or low impedance (mic) signal that is balanced. This allows one to send a specific signal and INJECT it DIRECTly into a recording console. SOME DIs allow you to take the speaker signal from the power amp, but be sure the DI you are using allows this. There are guitar amps with a DI built in and send a very nice signal to mixers. Line outs on guitar amps are for sending a preamp signal to an effects processor. Now, this can be used to go into a mixer, but unless your amp has a built in cab and speaker emulation it will be a less than great sound. Line 6 (maker of POD) has a whole line of amps that have this function. You can go straight from amp to mixer and still use the amp to create "live" feedback during solos, etc.

If you are looking to get a guitar into a mixer, the DI is the way to go. If, on the other hand, you want the sound of your amp to get to a mixer, try a mic or an amp with a built in DI or cab sim.

Peace, Jim

Thanks, Jim. I can see it more clearly now. Just a bit more - Can I plug the line out of my amp directly into the input of my guitar effects pedal which has a cab sim, or is the line level too high for a pedal input?
Also, how much better is the speaker out signal than a line out/preamp out/direct out signal? By the way I've come across these 3 different terms but they seem to mean about the same thing. Is it really so?

Jim is right, a DI box is an impedance transformer. One of the most common uses is live on stage when you want the bass guitar or keyboard to go direct to the house system. A pod, effects proccessor, etc. should be thought of as a preamp. A DI or direct box does not have amp sim or any other fancy shit. It is for general low z or high z connections.

A pedal with cab similator and so forth doesn't need anything but a guitar plugged into it. I mean, yeah, you could very likely plug your amp's line out without any harm--many guitarist run all their pedals thru the line in and out of an amp so that the guitar signal doesn't lose anything before getting to the amp. But if you have some fancy pedal with effects (especially multieffects) and a cab sim, skip your amp if you're not going to mic it or have no need of live feedback. By the way, preamp out and line out are often the same, but speaker or poweramp out are much, much, MUCH hotter and will cause serious damage to most line in units such as pedals, rack effects, mixers and power amps. Some DIs will take a speaker output, but not all. Check that you are getting a line out signal and not the speaker signal before you plug into any device.

Peace, Jim

Good bit of info Jim.

It should be noted, though, that manufacturers of fancy preamp/processor combos refer to their products as DI boxes. Both Tech21 and Line6 make "DI" boxes that "really" are not.

Slackmaster 2000

Back