Why buy an expensive headphone? Please read it all to get my point...

....others are verbose in the extreme......
That's what it is. It's not about hate at all. But we all need to be told to shut the fuck up at some point in our lives, myself included. His time had come (a long time ago). Christ, we're talking about headphones, and we don't get paid by the word around here. I'm not even going to get into how little sense he makes in every single one of his ridiculous posts. But we're talking about headphones and this guy's pontificating like he's frickin' Salvador Dali Lama. Enough already. :eek:

That's what it is. It's not about hate at all. But we all need to be told to shut the fuck up at some point in our lives, myself included. His time had come (a long time ago). Christ, we're talking about headphones, and we don't get paid by the word around here. I'm not even going to get into how little sense he makes in every single one of his ridiculous posts. But we're talking about headphones and this guy's pontificating like he's frickin' Salvador Dali Lama. Enough already. :eek:

Those long-winded cryptic mofos that don't actually say anything are wracked with insecurity. There's more than a few of them here.

I just bought a set of Bowers and WIlkins P3 on ear cans for my iPod / daily commute.... tres awesome.... very flat response and none of the hyped bass shit that ray was mentioning with the beats..

Played my own CD on them and started hearing stuff I probably should have balanced a little better. Even though I've got some good Sennheiser over ear cans for the studio, I can see that these things will be handy, and it's making me want to upgrade the studio ones as well.

Plus, they're red!

I don't think that I would spend on a pair of headphones more than I spent on my monitors. Currently I have a pair of middle-end (for my standards). They are more than the regular PC user has and less than someone pretending to be a musical producing supposed to have in his desk. Oh well... it does mean that I shouldn't go beyond something around $250-300 for a headphone at this time.

There's good headphones that can be had for no more than $100....and some of them sound as good as stuff selling for $300.

It's hard to recommend one pair, because it can be a personal taste thing.
Some phones are bright and full of that "more me" kind of hype, which some people prefer, as they can cut through when there is loud music in the room. Some of the Sony MDR models are like that, and I find them rather harsh.
Of course, if you just record on your own for the most part, then you might not need that and might prefer phones that are not as hyped, but more balanced sounding.

Decent isolation is important when cutting vocals, so closed-back are the way to go, otherwise you will hear them bleeding into your vocal mic if they are open-back. You don't need super isolation, unless maybe you're playing drums.
For other things....a semi-open set will sound more natural, and allow you to hear some of the room along with what is coming from the headphones.

If you do need super isolation....you will have to give up a bit of comfort, as they have to really seal well around you ears and at the same time stay on your head firmly.
The old studio standard Koss Pro4AA are somwhat like that...but they are still used in studios and have a pretty good sound overall. They can be had for under $100.

I have a bunch of headphones of all three styles....including a whole bunch of of the Koss Pro4AA, which I only use when I have other people over.
For my own solo use, I have a few Fostex phones, closed and open back. The Fostex T50RP is a semi-open back, sounds as good as stuff $300+ and are great even for audiophile listening, not just recording. Very nice phones that can be had for under $100.
The other Fostex I have are the T40RP, which are closed back. I use those the most for my tracking, because of the decent isolation, but they don't sound as nice as the clarity of the T50RP, which I don't mind that much, and I just got use to the tone of the T40RPs, and now I know how they should sound so I still get what I want when tracking with them. They cost even less than the T50RP.

So I don't want to say get these or those, but that's some of the stuff that I think is very decent, and under $100.

I've thought about getting something higher-end....but frankly, to beat the T50RP headphones for more critical listening, I would have to get up in the $400-$500 price range, and frankly I would find that a waste of money for just a pair of headphones.

YMMV....

I have a light weight set for my portable D.A.P. but do need to get a new pair. I like the ones I have at present because they go around the back of the neck instead of over the crown. As I'm rather sun sensitive, (pale skin, formerly freckles, burn. blister & peel type), I need to wear a hat when out of doors. I might suss out that brand Armistice. I play .wav & FLAC through the thing so decent headphones are worth the outlay.

There's good headphones that can be had for no more than $100....and some of them sound as good as stuff selling for $300.

It's hard to recommend one pair, because it can be a personal taste thing.
Some phones are bright and full of that "more me" kind of hype, which some people prefer, as they can cut through when there is loud music in the room. Some of the Sony MDR models are like that, and I find them rather harsh.
Of course, if you just record on your own for the most part, then you might not need that and might prefer phones that are not as hyped, but more balanced sounding.

Decent isolation is important when cutting vocals, so closed-back are the way to go, otherwise you will hear them bleeding into your vocal mic if they are open-back. You don't need super isolation, unless maybe you're playing drums.
For other things....a semi-open set will sound more natural, and allow you to hear some of the room along with what is coming from the headphones.

If you do need super isolation....you will have to give up a bit of comfort, as they have to really seal well around you ears and at the same time stay on your head firmly.
The old studio standard Koss Pro4AA are somwhat like that...but they are still used in studios and have a pretty good sound overall. They can be had for under $100.

I have a bunch of headphones of all three styles....including a whole bunch of of the Koss Pro4AA, which I only use when I have other people over.
For my own solo use, I have a few Fostex phones, closed and open back. The Fostex T50RP is a semi-open back, sounds as good as stuff $300+ and are great even for audiophile listening, not just recording. Very nice phones that can be had for under $100.
The other Fostex I have are the T40RP, which are closed back. I use those the most for my tracking, because of the decent isolation, but they don't sound as nice as the clarity of the T50RP, which I don't mind that much, and I just got use to the tone of the T40RPs, and now I know how they should sound so I still get what I want when tracking with them. They cost even less than the T50RP.

So I don't want to say get these or those, but that's some of the stuff that I think is very decent, and under $100.

I've thought about getting something higher-end....but frankly, to beat the T50RP headphones for more critical listening, I would have to get up in the $400-$500 price range, and frankly I would find that a waste of money for just a pair of headphones.

YMMV....

Very nice advices, Miroslav!

:)

From your long list of suggestions the only phone I have had the opportunity to test is the PRO4AA as my daddy had it. I should say that I don't like them though because they are too big/clumsy and perform excessive bass pressure in the ears for my taste. I prefer the lightweight modern style cans with a flat to slightly colored sound. Surely it will be a closed-back (or at least semi-closed) one.

:thumbs up:

About the cost, when I say that I am going to spend no more than $250-300 it's because that's what a $100 can will cost for me. I explain: here in Brasil those things are crazily overpriced and even if I buy them at eBay for the correct price I still will have to afford an expensive shipping and will be penalized by the custom taxes. At the end, the $100 will become $250 easily.

:(

Greg's link leads to an interesting conundrum. Someone who has & likes a pair of= decent, but pricey, headphones but seems to suggest the Dr Beats set for triple that may be worthy, (It was a little confusing was it the price or the quality he was commenting on?), and that l'mode haut was more about badging & price tag than anything else.

I mix all music in headphones I use Sennheiser HD598, a open type, a very open and natural and honestly sound, with a Big headroom, and every one is very happy with my mix/mastering
and they are wonderful to just listening on music with, and get a loud sound even on my iPhone. 32,Ohm I think
188USD on Amazon and 208 on Ebay
OK when I'm finish mixing I listening on Monitors to :-)

We use Sennheiser HD600 or HD650, or Beyerdynamic DT880 (open).
Even better are Stax electrostatic earspeakers, or Beyerdynamic T5, or AKG K812...

Jos

I don't think you started the thread looking for suggestions on which headphones to buy.... but if you do want a suggestion, look at the Sennheiser HD-202's. Closed Back and they sound good. Their response is not as flat as it should be for mixing, but checking reverb tails, edit points, etc, they work good. PLus, they just sound nice. $30USD.

I know all about Brazilian customs on imports. One of my bigger headaches in my daytime job. I think I'm actually an illegal alien in Brazil. I was there on a work visa last year but couldn't register with the federal police because their computer system was down. The supervisor told me there's a small chance I could be arrested if I ever came back to Brazil.

lol, I live on the edge. :D

I don't think you started the thread looking for suggestions on which headphones to buy.... but if you do want a suggestion, look at the Sennheiser HD-202's. Closed Back and they sound good. Their response is not as flat as it should be for mixing, but checking reverb tails, edit points, etc, they work good. PLus, they just sound nice. $30USD.

Chili, it seems to be a perfect entry-level option for me! Excellent suggestion, thank you very much, pal!

Ok, I just placed my order. I bought the HD-202 in a brazilian online store. It costed me around USD67 and I will pay it in 12x USD5.58. Should be here in a couple days.

I think that after some time I will want to upgrade to a better model and so on. But I had to start from somewhere!

:D

Back