why are these different

ikijapan

Crap, maybe I should have posted this in the newbie section...but here goes.

So, I finally got my system running ncie and smooth, I can put all kinds of effects on there without popping and whatnot thanks to some advice from Farview.

Here's something I don't understand though: I thought I understood how send effects work versus insert effects, until I did this: I have 6 acoustic guitar tracks that I want to compress exactly the same way. They are actually just 3 takes of stereo guitar. I don't want to bounce them because I have already done a lot with automation and whatnot and think it will just be easier to keep them where they are at this point. OK, fine, so I figured that rather than inserting 6 VST comps (which I usually do), I will just create a send effect with my VST comp. I set it EXACTLY the same as the comp I had inserted before and then removed the insert one and turn on the send one.

But the send one is WAY louder. I mean, I had make up gain on...umm, about 4 db, but now I don't know what I'm doing. Should I not be doing a comp this way?? I also noticed that depending on how much I slide the send effect over, the louder it gets (I think that is the wet/dry ratio??). Are you only supposed to use a comp as an insert effect?

Back