Why are the firewire mixers being discontinued?

psongman

Hi, I have been researching info about the Alesis and Phonic and a few other companies that make these firewire mixers. What is going on with this particular interface, in the sense that...is it really a viable way to record audio or are there so many problems that the companies have decided to place their emphasis elsewhere.

Right now, like a lot of small studio owners, I have an M-audio delta 2496 with a decent Behringer mixer using Reaper for main recording and Adobe Audition for finalizing. Now, I just bought a nice used computer, added lots of ram and a 500 gig second hard drive but want to upgrade my recording setup.

I was thinking about going firewire as my newish computer has firewire and usb inputs. I know I don't really need a lot of inputs but perhaps someday that might be an option esp. with live drummers....right now, I use EZdrummer for want of getting a real one to show up, ehhe.

So, simply, what are your recommendations for achieving cleaner, smoother, and reliable recordings with minor dents to the ole wallet? I really think there needs to be more handson reviews of some of these units and their actual usage in studios, major or minor. Thanks for listening, assist me if you can, psongman

What makes you think they are being discontinued?? A quick read through Phonic's website and it seems the firewire mixers are their biggest seller. They are probably phasing out older models for newer ones, like the new universal interface (USB/FW).

I've got the Phonic Helix 12FW and really enjoy the convenience it brings. Some might say the mic pres are cheap or not very good. I won't argue the point, but I don't see a lot of difference between this unit and mid-level stand-alone mic pre's. I'm sure there is, but you have to be listening for it.

I think it works well in a small home studio. Why?? The audio signals to the converters are tapped off right after the trim knob. They don't go through the mixer's channel strips and therefore do not get altered. Just raw signals going to the computer, which is what you want.

What does go through the mixer's channel strips are the monitored audio, so you can add reverb or eq without affecting the signal going to the computer. This lets you have reverb in your headphones while singing, but not add it the recorded signal. This is important and, to me, very convenient. Is this the kind of review you're looking for??

H'lo, yes, thanks for the review. I do agree that using a mixer is still the best way to go as I noticed that the closer you get the instrument or voice to the way you want it to sound when sending it in, the easier it is to make it fit in the mix and you don't have to add too many fx to it.

Now, you can send the Phonics to the post settings too, am I right. I also agree that it is good to get an unaltered signal in but occasionally I like to cut the highs on my guitars quite a bit when I record.

I am just a bit leery of buying a firewire mixer, only because they stop making some of them or keep changing models...to me, that signals, some feedback they are getting from recording enthusiasts...for example, the Texas Instrument firewire ports being most needed. Well, am going to rethink some of these ideas, but probably just keep using my tried and true m-audio card with my mixer, as I do get quite decent tracks. Thanks for the replies, mucho appreciated, psongman

I have an alesis multimix firewire mixer.

this is great for recording i bought used and got it at a great price.

I have yet to have any issues with it.
the preamps are clean and haven't had any problems with them.

Hmmm, well it is nice to hear feedback from someone with a firewire mixer, let alone an Alesis. I have learned so much about computers the past few years, esp. like putting in extra hard drives and optical ones. I have sent my computer out to have that done and the tech ruined a few of mine, but now I can put my own in in a few minutes.

What I am trying to say is, some hardware just is not compatible with some computers and some hardware is not kosher with some OS. I finally upgraded to a more powerful computer and am not having a lot of issues like before. I wanted to try out a firewire mixer to see if it was a bit easier but now that I have figured out the best ways to record using my M-audio card, Behringer mixer, Reaper and Adobe Audition and a host of useful plugins, perhaps I should stay put with what I have now. If any more ideas arise, enter them here, hehe, thanks, again, psongman

Usb 3.0 is going to be very nice... but it's going to take some time to trickle down to interfaces. Perhaps some manufacturer's are preparing for the switch? definitely enjoy what you have, the sound quality won't be outdated anytime in the next decade:)

I just got a mint used Alesis Multimix 16 USB (eBay $400 + $50 shipping US). I transferred 8 tracks simultaneously from my ADAT through the Alesis to Sonar on my laptop with no glitches (other than ADAT static $%##% which I always had with my XT). Pretty clean mixer and nice USB convenience....

I have an Alesis Multimix-16 FW and love it. I user Cakewalk's Sonar Home Studio Vers 4 & 6 recording apps. I have completed two CD projects (currently working on 3 & 4). Also, I have read numerous comments from people having trouble with the Alesis FW series mixer (mostly driver installation issues), however, I am not one of them. I proudly proclaim I am an Alesis Multimix FW user. And if any of you have decided to put your Alesis up for grabs (at a very discounted price, I might consider if the price is right and the Equipment is in excellent condition). By the way, I remember reading somewhere that the Firewire protocol is primarily developed by Apple and vendors have to pay a price for each useage (which may be why some manufactures use USB 2.0 instead of firewire). But from what I see at places like American Musical Supply, Musicians Friends, Sweetwater and other gear sites...., firewire interfaces don't seem to be going away..........just my HMO.

Good to hear some favorable comments. You know, I know this is going off course a bit, but I fixed up this older computer and it was giving me fits when I was trying to use it esp. in recording and it was jumping all over the place. We could never figure it out, as it had a new hard drive esp. for recording, and all sorts of tried and true stuff, XP Pro,. So long story short, you know what it was, a bad computer keyboard, I mean it worked but it must have had a bad key, even though it was quite new, and it gave the computer fits. I just replaced it with a new basic one, and all went very well after that.

So, what I am saying, is a lot of users have been having trouble with their usb and firewire interfaces, but can't seem to iron out their problems. I believe it is sort of like what cdr goes with what burner...you can't pinpoint the problem as it could be some driver, motherboard or IRQ issue.

I really would like to know if these usb and firewire mixers are as good as just using a good soundcard and a decent mixer. I mean noone really sits down and compares the different recording setups, i.e., the same guitar part, vocal, drums, mix down, latency, etc. I would appreciate any feedback in that domain if you have any knowledge, OK, well, off to burn some one track cd's for a center I wrote a song for, yeah, that is why we make music, psongman

I really would like to know if these usb and firewire mixers are as good as just using a good soundcard and a decent mixer. I mean noone really sits down and compares the different recording setups, i.e., the same guitar part, vocal, drums, mix down, latency, etc. I would appreciate any feedback in that domain if you have any knowledge,

I kind of thought I did that for you a week ago... :confused:

Back