Why are Rap Vocals so Clear?

1. If you limit any vocals, be sure to check for sibilance, maybe hit a de-esser AFTER limiting...

2. Doubled/tripled hip hop vocals that are tight = VocAlign.

Here's Why!

Rap vocals are so clear because Rap sucks SO BAD and they want to annoy as many people as much as they can...it's not to complicated...get a drum machine, and chant profanity over the drum mix...then mix the vocals in-your-face hot.....and Bingo! you have a multi platinum CD that all the kids run out and buy to piss off thier parents.....easy! :mad:

Look I'm not a big fan either. I think that most of the hip hop/rap/ and what their calling R n B (that used to mean rythm and BLUES right?) that I've heard over the past 20 years or so is total shit. But thats a little harsh dude there are exceptions. "Hey Ya" just might be the catchiest pop tune ever recorded. Look at the radio in general though. Everyone sounds the same and it's total shit for the most part. Popular music in general is rapidly becoming assembly line "Anyone can do it" thoughtless drivel. It's bad all over and has been for quite some time. Don't single out the hi hop, everybody's guilty. And "get a drum machine"?, I just boughtt one a little while ago and can't work it for shit. Anybody who can operate one of those things gets at least a modicum of respect from me.

well rap has changed from the fun stuff it started out as, but sadly so have alot of things..i'm just as disgusted with rock and even country songs nowadays..and even outside of the audio realm i'm even more disgusted with the tv line-up...maybe next season they'll have a guy convincing his parents he's in love with a cow and go off to belgium to marry it for a million dollars...there will be lots of nudity and those little blur dots will keep getting smaller and smaller...i wish i had the little guy puking emoticon..i'd use it..

...right here...

Rap songs tend to me more clear, not just vocals, but song as a whole, because we don't record the instruments, we use mastered samples,or mastered beats.
So we record the vocals, as clear as we can, and viola.

As for the bad mouthing of rap, I wonder just who you listened to.
Granted, some artists have messages of nothing more than getting rich, shooting at someone, and ho's, while others actually have a message behind the song, ie- 2Pac, he is one artist who had a message behind every single song he ever made, and those who have lived a poor life, or seen those struggles, can easily relate.
He didn't rap about killing someone, just to rap about it, he rapped about what HE went through, what HE seen, his emotions, the internal demons he dealt with.

Although 99% of you couldn't relate to this, as you've never been brought up to see such things.

I hope that you did'nt misinterperet my post earlier. I was trying to say that I'm dissapointed all around with the current state of popular music. Even unpopular music does'nt have much to offer anymore. BUT as for tupac he was frontin' G . Yeah he was poor but so was I, he happens to be from my home town where he lived in a mixed blue collar relatively stable (for Baltimore) neighborhodd and went to a magnate school. Any "Thug" life that he was familiar with he sought out an created a character of himself. Not to say that that does'nt require a great deal of artistic commitment and deffinitely qualifies him as a skilled "performer", but he was never "from the streets" as some might put it.

Oh, and don't get me wrong man I'm not trying to dig into you and I acknowledge what you are saying but that 99% deal.......I'd think you'd be suprised as to what some of us have seen. You don't have to be a fan of Hip Hop to know poverty, pain, death, and human cruelty.

Back