why a better D/A converter?

I have been using 828mkII for some while.
recently get curious about converter.but something I don't understand.
I know a high end A/D can make the signal quality better into a mix in pc,esp. compare with the one in 828.
does it mean Digital to Digital connection won't have loss affection?
and I heard somebody uses a better D/A (benchmark DAC1) with 828.why is it for?only connect the D/A with a pair of monitors or something?if yes,how difference using the MAINOUT in 828?
last question,if after I get both High end A/D & D/A,should I also change other audio interface instead of 828?

A better DA allows you to hear things more accurately so you can make better decisions when tracking(i e mic placement etc.) and mixing.

If you get a better AD and DA you don't need to get another interface I don't see why the MOTU won't be fine unless you don't like it?

Or is an extreme and concise nature - how good will your recordings be if you were deaf?

The resoulution and stereo field of a better D/A converter will give you a better idea of what has been recorded. It's part of the monitoring chain.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link... so, in other words, you can have the greatest monitors in the world, but if the signal you're sending to those monitors is compromised then the monitors are compromised. If you have less than the greatest monitors in the world you're going to experience a double whammy... you'll be sending a crap signal to crap monitors which will often cause you to over EQ, over effect, over process your music in an attempt to compensate for a crap monitoring chain.

It's kinda like trying to play guitar with an amp that you can't hear... yeah, you know where the chords are, you know that you're playing the chords in the right spot, but you'll have no idea of how to approach the instrument 'touch' wise... so while you'll be able to go through the motions, you won't be affored the opportunity to do your best work.

thanks all of you!I understand it now.
what about these 2 D/A do you guys think?
BENCHMARK DAC-1
LUCID D/A 9624 Stereo 96k
I only need 2 outputs for stereo mixing to connect with pair of monitors.
is that LED ladders in LUCID for master vol's signal?
if yes,that is cool.I really want to have it to control the master level.
I always doubt when I will blow up my monitors using MAIN's vol Knobs in 828 without any signal level display.
can those headphone out run a 250ohm headphone?
the one in 828 is not enough,signal becomes weak,even the headphone amp in Voicemaster Pro is better than 828.
or there are more choice out there?

I like the Lucid DA9624. The Kurzweil Rumour lacks the connectivity of the Lucid but is a nice unit as well.

The DAC-1 does have a volume pot for the headphone out... as for the "ATTY" we have one on the 'shop stereo'... the taper of the pot is all wrong for use in a studio. The first 3rd of the pot's throw nets little result, the subsequent 1/2" of throw will take you from 40-100 in a heartbeat... the last 3rd of the throw might as well just be shades of "full open"... damn frustrating little box... but the 'panic mute' switch can come in handy when the phone rings.

Richard Monroe said:
The Lucid rocks.-Richie

Agreed. Lucid converters are a huge step up over most. I use them on A/D and D/A now and they're a great unit with tons of headroom as well.

War

anywhither said:
why a better D/A converter?

Because they're better.

And better is always...well...ummm..."better". (Until, of course, you come upon someone who has something even BETTER. But...we won't talk about that right now...)

Old thread.. So I'm threadjacking without guilt...

Disclaimer... I'm currently making a move up the food chain.. I guarrantee there are things that I am misunderstanding... beware...

I'm not asking this question from a serious purchasing perspective.. but... Is it safe to say that my monitoring would sound better using the DAC-1 for output, instead of the output channels of a Digi 002?

Would it even possible in PT to select the DAC-1 for output?

Wait.. I guess I would just go out from the Digi S/PDIF.. and into the DAC S/PDIF...

Thoughts??

P.S. Also, how might I use it in conjunction with a Mackie Big Knob?

Thanks..

dont rule out mytek. I like their products much more than benchmark. cheaper too, IIRC. I use them for ADC and D/A

teddy
anywhither said:
thanks all of you!I understand it now.
what about these 2 D/A do you guys think?
BENCHMARK DAC-1
LUCID D/A 9624 Stereo 96k
I only need 2 outputs for stereo mixing to connect with pair of monitors.
is that LED ladders in LUCID for master vol's signal?
if yes,that is cool.I really want to have it to control the master level.
I always doubt when I will blow up my monitors using MAIN's vol Knobs in 828 without any signal level display.
can those headphone out run a 250ohm headphone?
the one in 828 is not enough,signal becomes weak,even the headphone amp in Voicemaster Pro is better than 828.
or there are more choice out there?

Black lion mod?

How about doing the Black Lion mod on an 828MK2 ?

According to Matt, the man doing the mods, once modified, that MK2 will compete quite well against RME, Metric, etc., and you'll find that its two mic preamps are quite nice. The modification covers all of the analog stages--all the inputs, outputs, mic preamps, and headphone amps.

I assume this means the A/D and the D/A convertors...

See:

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

What d'yall think? :confused:

kenoflife said:
How about doing the Black Lion mod on an 828MK2 ?

According to Matt, the man doing the mods, once modified, that MK2 will compete quite well against RME, Metric, etc., and you'll find that its two mic preamps are quite nice. The modification covers all of the analog stages--all the inputs, outputs, mic preamps, and headphone amps.

I assume this means the A/D and the D/A convertors...

See:

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

What d'yall think? :confused:

I got an appointment to get my 828mkII modded in May. The mod covers all analog stages and a new clock thats supposed to lower jitter from 120 picoseconds to less than 10.

Back