Votes: 276 41.5%
  • Alto

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Phonic

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nady

Votes: 23 3.5%

• Total voters
I've got a Behringer headphone amp and I get sound into it with a behringer ada8000. No one's ever complained that their headphones sound like shit. (that's probably because musicians can't hear shit anyways, but still)

Styrofoam coffee cups.

They hold really bad coffee and keep it so hot you lose skin when you sip it. Then when you dump the rest out the car window the cup blends in with the snowbank until spring.

Carvin is very good gear; I'm a big fan. But I noticed that their guitars have inflated in price over the years, so they are no longer really "cheap".

Miscellaneous electronic gear: M-Audio seems to stand out as being very high quality, signal-quality wise, but cheap. They make it cheap by using really flimsey cases and knobs; but the elctronics is very good and it sounds great. Just don't drop it or bump it or twist anything too vigorously.

I have also own numerous pieces of Behringer gear that have sounded good, been reliable, and did exactly what they claimed they would do.

The only gear that I have ever really had any problem with was TC Electronics, and they are NOT cheap. I had a multiband compressor that simply would not do what the advertizing claimed it would do. It was a very inferior design that I bought because of TC's "high end" reputation. What a scam !

Another Peavey vote here! The clincher for me is the life I frequently still see left in 20 to 30 year old Peavy gear that looks like its changed hands numerous times and had the shit beat out of it each and every time. Thier gear just seems to somehow cling to life no matter what.

Although I trust Peaveys reliability the most, in the budget category I'll usually go for something Yamaha instead just because I tend to like more of what they have to offer and find them to still have one of the better price to performance/quality ratios.

As for Behringer, although none of my items have failed me yet, none are more than a few years old either so the jury is still out for me. I tend to think thier products are a crapshoot though. If thier stuff is going to break down, it probably will do so sooner than later, but if it does'nt, then you may have just lucked out with a decent assembly line run that could last a you a while.

Interestingly, I have a Behringer compressor which I've A-B'd with a Symmetrix I had (and sold). I found that the Symmetrix did a lot more compressing (more range and capability) but it was 1000x noisier. The Behringer did it's job decently, quietly and cheaply. I wonder what else they make that's suprisingly cheap and good.

LL

louloomis said:
Interestingly, I have a Behringer compressor which I've A-B'd with a Symmetrix I had (and sold). I found that the Symmetrix did a lot more compressing (more range and capability) but it was 1000x noisier. The Behringer did it's job decently, quietly and cheaply. I wonder what else they make that's suprisingly cheap and good.

LL

Decent Behringer gear includes the ADA8000 A/D interface, and the 4 channel headphone amp. I had a multicom pro, but it did some nasty things to the sound.

The one Behrry piece that you'll see in the occasional pro room is the Intelligate.

Definitly Pevey for me, I bought a 5 string Millenium bass Boxing day a year ago for $400CDN including tax with a padded soft case. Great for homerecording, predictable bass fills and rootnote hugging!

Pv!

3 years later, my $80 Peavey Raptor Plus from a pawn shop has effectively shut down gas for (nearly) any guitar , so another vote fer Peevee LOL :D ...yes, I know this sound nutz, but consider....real wood body, oversized pickup magents (similar to Tom Andersons), heavy duty Fenderlike bridge saddles, OK tuners, not too thin not too thick body contoured just right, and some genious of a neck designer who made the neck profile, radius, contour, etc, yadda, yadda,yadda fit my hand unlike any other guitar!

ps- their basses are really solid too

I have to agree with the Peavey recommendation. I have a mike, gtr and amp of theirs. All very good gear regardless of price. And all has held up well with pretty rough use.

Carvin....cheap????

I too, have owned a lot of Carvin gear over the years, and back in the 70's it was "inexpensive" - I hesitate to call it cheap - that suggests subpar quality, and I've yet to have any of their gear fail me. At any rate, check their site-they have become mighty proud of their equipment over the years!!!

From the list, I have owned a bunch of Carvin gear: an oak X guitar amp I got in 1981, an LB20 bass in 2000, a headphone amp I'm using now, and two stereo power amps (one from 1981 that I sold, and a DCM1000 that's in my rack). The X amp was vastly improved with a Torres Tone Kit, and was relatively trouble-free for the 26 years I owned it. It was traded away last year toward a Korg D888, since I don't like hauling heavy gear around any more. The bass was traded toward a Fender Classic 50s P, which is my main gigging axe: I couldn't get along with the 24-fret neck on the Carvin. Both power amps NEVER needed repair or even a tuneup. Reliable stuff.

I have a Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro that I got when they were closing out the first generation models, but it's mostly to entertain visitors to the studio.

I have had 2 pairs of Peavey speakers, due to low cost. I have nothing against Peavey quality, but their design philosophy is at odds with my taste. They like lots of features: I like simplicity (and, hopefully, enhanced reliability). Having said that, it occurs to me that I ran a coffee house in these parts for a year using a borrowed three-legged Peavey powered mixer, beat to &^%$ and with maybe half its channels working, and it did fine. Ugly as homemade sin, but there it is.

The older Peavey equipment made in the USA is pretty much bulletproof. I have a Classic 30 amp that has never failed and have used some of their mixers and speakers for live sound, which were solid and reliable.

Back