Whoopie - Time for SX

It kicks ass. Major ass.

It ain't Cubase anymore, really. Its Nuendo with some good updates and kick-buttocks user interface upgrades. Rock solid, customizable, and sounds good.

Steinberg essentially did what Microsoft did with Windows XP. M$oft used to have a "home" OS and a "Pro" OS- Window 9X/ME and NT/2000. The "home" OS was so crappy (unreliable- computers aren't supposed to crash daily...) that they made life easier for everyone by basing both XP home and XP Pro on the Win2K OS. Good move for M$oft.

Steinberg's new Cubase is all the stability and pizazz of Nuendo with the nice MIDI features of Cubase. Good move for Steinberg.

Excellent for us Cubase users. :D

Warning: while the interface is similar to the old Cubase VST, there are some major differences that take some getting used to. Audio setup, for example, is different, as are the ways that you can display the mixer. It takes some getting used to, but its worth it...

Then YOU can kick ass.

:D
Chris

ahghghghg! Now I can't wait! I want it NOW!

I read on another forum that a lot of MIDI users are unhappy about the MIDI changes and glitches. Have you had any problems with that Chris?

I don't use MIDI a whole lot, but I do use it and it is important to me.

Thanks

Ditto on Chris's comments. I've had mine now for about 3 weeks, and I like it a lot. It does indeed kick ass.

I've also read the MIDI horror stories on the cubase web site, but I haven't encountered any of those problems yet. The major problems I've had have been in project import, and that's an easy fix: don't do it! I have several new projects underway that are based in SX. I'm still finishing my older projects in 5.1, but all new work is going on in SX. It is very nice indeed- similar enough to Cubase to have a fairly short learning curve, but more powerful.

I think that the best thing is that SX/XP is more efficient, codewise, than 5.1VST32/W98SE was. I can get a lot more going on, especially in terms of plugin bandwidth- probably 25-30% more, before starting to run out of CPU steam. This is an unexpected win...

SX is a HUGE step-up from Cubase VST 5.1..............!!!

I don't do a lot of midi (but the stuff I did do worked fine in SX!), so I can't comment in detail from that perspective -- but from an audio point of view -- it TOTALLY KICKS ASS!!!

"K",

I don't do tons of MIDI, either, but I have run into one problem so far. My drum tracks for imported songs (LM-4 VSTi tracks) aren't syncing. Boo hiss. Skippy is probably right- best to start new projects instead of importing, but I wanted to see how many tracks/effects/VSTi's I could get going so I tried to load my biggest project and compare performance.

I'm working on finding a setting or pattern somewhere, but...

Oh, well. It still kicks ass!

-Chris

There's been a lot of discussion of that on cubase.net: http://linux1723.dn.net/cgi-bin/ubb...+for+windows&number=2&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=

Looks like there is a problem with SX and some drum maps- the use of the drum map causes sync issues. There were several workarounds posted, the most interesting of which was "move that track to the bottom of the arrange window track list... I use my own drum maps, not the factory items, and haven't experienced any sync problems at all- even though I use a Midex-8, whihc has also been reported to have issues with SX. I guess all the karma I built up because upgrading to XP was such a pain is paying off...

Got it installed last weekend and dinked around with it a bit.

Not too bad so far. I've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of me after having used Cakewalk for so long. Also, I do miss some functions from Cubase 5.1 such as using [Page Up]/[Page Down] for RW/FF, hitting Stop twice to jump back to the left locator, and having copy/paste automatically jump to the end of a selection.

Mine came last night! Whoo hoo :D

I am going to finish up what I am working on in VST32 and hope to have it installed this weekend. Are there any installation pitfalls I need to avoid or any pieces of wisdom anyone wants to impart on me?

Installing SX is an absolute piece of cake- it took me all of 20 minutes to get it running.

On the other hand, upgrading to Windows XP was a huge thrash for me. It consumed an entire weekend, and was basically about as pleasant as removing my left eyeball and pouring a pint of molten lead into my skull through the socket. If, on the other hand, you already have XP running- you're home free.

The single most important thing: if you are coming from W98 or ME, make sure that you have the latest W2K/XP-compatible drivers available for *every piece* of audio hardware you use, well ahead of time. Otherwise it's not going to come up very nicely. For me that was soundcard, midi interface, dsp card... think about it, and plan ahead.

Since you can have both dongles on the machine, you can still have both VST and SX available, and work on projects in either one as you like- the files bind to their native versions, so launching a 5.1 project brings up 5.1, and launching an SX project brings up SX. Since you can have them both available, there's no pressure to finish up old stuff, or move too soon. I still have both running, and will have for some time...

Thanks for the info!

It's good news for me because my computer is already running XP. Just got my computer two months ago and everything with 32 went real easy, so I am hoping for the same with SX.

I was going to wipe 32VST off when I installed because I thought they might conflict so I really appreciate the news I can keep them both for a while, Skippy. I appreciate you tellin' me! :)

I don't think I can wait for the weekend, I am moving installation up to tomorrow... :D

Good luck with the installation. However, you probably won't need it. I also had XP already installed. SX installation went most smoothly.

FWIW, I have SX on my laptop with XP. 5.1 is on my studio computer with ME. I obviously have crap for audio equipment on my laptop, so I'll be using 5.1 for main recording purposes for now. Especially because of the idiosyncrasies I noted above.

At least until I really fall in love with SX and can't handle 5.1 any more...

You guys probably allready know this, but just in case:

I was poking around over at steinberg's site and there is a patch at Steinberg for SX, upgrading to version 1.01

It was quite a list of fixes they came up with! :D

People at the cubase forums are already calling for .02 and it sounds like it may not be too far off.

Is XP a requirement? I've been using 98se and Logic w/o any problems. I'd like to move to SX, but I'd really like to stay w/ 98 unless you guys think that's unwise for SX or any other reason.

ap, as a longtime win98 user I was not real thrilled about the prospect of getting used to XP. I had just gotten a new computer for recording only, and it came stock with XP (so I didn't have the same installation troubles some people ran into) and all I can say was within a week I really was considering sticking XP on our other computer (this one) that we use for internet, graphics design, gaming...

XP is rock solid stable. I have not had ONE single crash or freeze-up on it. I can't remember the last time I went even a week without win98 either locking up or crashing or doing something funny. Once you get used to XP, you won't want to go back.

I have to admit that I haven't had one crash that I can remember for the few months I've used XP.

HOWEVER. I am so !@#$ sick of a pop up window always popping up telling me that XP could not connect all network drives if I don't have my WLAN running or I don't have an ethernet cable attached (this is a laptop). I don't care. Tell me this if I'm trying to use the network drive, not for no reason.

In fact, if I close the window, it unselects the current application I am using which is a minor pain when I start retyping and realize my text is not appearing.

*URGH*

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and download the new XP version of TweakUI. It will let you turn off those damnable balloons, and many other irritating things that XP does For Our Convenience.

TweakUI is an absolutely mandatory item in the face of Microsoft's deplorable coding style. They have loaded so much shit in there to make it easy to use that it is now impossible to use in as-delivered form...

Here's another fun thing, assuming that you have automatic updates turned off Which is veryadvisable for a DAW). Go into Explorer, and go to "Windows Update". The machine will say that there is a new version of update needed to access the updates. Say yes. It will then loop, telling you you need the new update to get the updates. You'll lose interest after a few cycles of this. Fact is, you will never be able to get any updates given the current state of the software, without extensive registry edits (taht apparently may not work either...).

And this is their flagship product? Faugh. Perhaps they will get around to fixing this someday. No smiley. I'm just glad that the installation-time updater is relatively decent, since that is the only update that will probably ever work- after all, Microsoft never admits to making mistakes.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...rt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&start=10&sa=N, in case anybody actually cares...

Last edited:
Back