Whole Band Recording on a Budget

takk

I want to be able to record my band live at our rehersal space. The band consists of:

2 guitars
1 bass
1 vocal
Drums

Here's the equipment I currently have to work with:

Delta 1010LT (2 XLR ins + 6 rca ins)
M-Audio 2 channel pre-amp
Yamaha EMX 66m Powered Mixer (6 XLR ins + Line Out L/R)
Sonar XL 2.2

I need to buy some more mic's but that's for another post. Let's assume I have enough mic's.

I think this whole thing comes down to needing a mixer, but here's my idea for what I've got:

Mic up the drums and run the drums into the Yamaha Mixer. Get a good drum mix and run the line outs from the mixer into 2 channels of the Delta. So drums will be mixed down to 2 tracks on the recording. Mic the guitar cabs and run each mic into the Audio Buddy so each guitar will have it's own track. Run the bass through a SansAmp (I have that too) into one of the Delta XLRs to its own track. For the vocal, maybe I could run him through the Yamaha for monitoring and split his signal to one of the Delta XLRs for recording (but that would mean another mixer, I don't know). Maybe I'll just have him go directly to the Delta XLR with no monitoring.

So after all that I would be stuck with the drums, maybe some EQ potential there. Two guitars, bass, and vocals all on seperate tracks.

What do you think, the makings of a shit recording? So what mixer should I buy? : )

- Takk

Or get more preamps (M Audio DM5, the SP one, etc $50-75 a channel, used) and some adaptive cabling (xlr preamp, 1/4 inch out to RCA in on the delta 1010LT) and plug it all driectly into the 1010, it has enough lines in and even the bargian pres like these will sound better than the mixer pres. Record as many mics on the drums as you need or can afford to buy preamps and the last two go through the mixer. Set the levels directly in Sonar.

Daav

Are you talking about recording rehearsals to go back and listen to, or recording something to sell or otherwise distribute? If you just want rehearsal recordings, just throw up a decent omni mic in a place where it gets a good balance of everything.

Back