Who wants to help get a job?

Newbie dude

This should probably be in Live Events or Microphones, but oh well.

I'm applying for a job at a performing arts center for things like running lights, running sound, micing thins, etc, for tings like chorus concerts, band concerts, musicals, etc. On the application form, one question is: A mic is not working on stage. What could be the reasons it isnt working?

I've already throught of alot of things, but I wanna see your ideas.

Anyone got a spare PhD for sale? I got some mics I can trade for it. They've never ever stopped working on stage.

I'll do your homework for you, if you promise to learn something from it!

First, check the input meter on the mic channel, make sure the gain is adjusted properly. If it's a condenser mic, make sure it has the phantom power turned on. If the meter is showing that it's getting input, check the channel level slider (duh) to make sure somebody remembered to turn it up! If that's not it, make sure the MUTE button isn't depressed. If there's no signal on the input meter, try plugging the mic into a different channel. If it's still not registering anything, check the cable connections on the mic and the board. If the connections are OK, try replacing the mic cable itself. If that doesn't fix it, check the microphone itself for bad connectors, or possibly damaged components or a loose capsule or something like that. If none of that checks out, then your mic is dead, so go grab a backup! Also, make sure the vocalist isn't a mime.

Oh and this is assuming that everything else plugged into the board is working fine. Of course, if nothing else is working, then it becomes a more complicated issue.

hmm...well, so far, excluding the steward, i've thought of all these. Remember the question is why it isnt working, now what to try to fix it.

The answer they are looking for:

I would simply have a backup mic already configured and walk it out to the performer.

The performance is everything, and the performer and audience won't wait until you "figure it out".

The list of "why it isn't working" is as long as how many physical connections are made.

birthday boy said:
I'll do your homework for you, if you promise to learn something from it!

First, check the input meter on the mic channel, make sure the gain is adjusted properly. If it's a condenser mic, make sure it has the phantom power turned on. If the meter is showing that it's getting input, check the channel level slider (duh) to make sure somebody remembered to turn it up! If that's not it, make sure the MUTE button isn't depressed. If there's no signal on the input meter, try plugging the mic into a different channel. If it's still not registering anything, check the cable connections on the mic and the board. If the connections are OK, try replacing the mic cable itself. If that doesn't fix it, check the microphone itself for bad connectors, or possibly damaged components or a loose capsule or something like that. If none of that checks out, then your mic is dead, so go grab a backup!
All joking aside, this is excellent advice, though I tend to suspect the mic cable first.
birthday boy said:
Also, make sure the vocalist isn't a mime.
ROFLMAO and also PIMP!!!!! :D :D :D :D

So then the reasons could be: lack of gain, lack of phantom power, lack of channel level, mute button depressed, bad channel, poor connection to the mic or board, defective mic cable, defective or damaged microphone, or mime.

Or maybe - mic cable plugged into mic but not into snake box or into wrong channel of snake box.

EDIT

or maybe, um, like that mic is hooked to a channel on a board that's hooked to a patchbay and there's a bad insert patch on that channel and it's just totally , like, you know, interrupting the signal flow and shit.

mikemorgan said:
The answer they are looking for:

I would simply have a backup mic already configured and walk it out to the performer.

The performance is everything, and the performer and audience won't wait until you "figure it out".

The list of "why it isn't working" is as long as how many physical connections are made.

DING! :D

It doesn't matter what the problem is as long as you have a resolution for it pronto.

timboZ said:
It's a Behringer..... :eek: :eek:

hehe. thats actually not bad.

Though not ALL behringer stuff is as bad as everyone says on here. They have some nice cheap monitors u've used. they're headphones arent bad. They're amps are good, depending on what sound you're going for.

Their effects pedals are good if you just need something to throw at the audience when they boo you.

Exactly, tell them you wouldn't waste time trying to fix the problem, you'd have a backup ready to use immediately.

Back