Who makes the best low end kit?

JFogarty

Most of the big drum companies have affordable <$550 kits. Who do you guys think makes the best one?

Tama is famous for their cheap semi-pro sets, but the difference is still very good to be heard, if you ask me.

I am not a big fan of the Tama lowed kits like the Rockstar. The Yamaha stage customs arn't too bad, But they are around 700. Pearl Export are popular and are not too bad, they run like 600 and the Export Select are about 700. The pearl Session series are pretty decent but they run at about a grand. So if you can try to save up more money then it's worth it. Check ebay and all that obviously, used is the way to go. If you can get $1000-1200, I'd go with the Premier Artist Birch, or a little more will get you the Artist Maple, which ever you prefer, but damn these drums kick.

midwestpercussion.com

I've found these guys to have pretty much the cheapest prices, I've never bought anything from them though so I don't know about customer service or shipping and all. Later

maddrummer said:
I am not a big fan of the Tama lowed kits like the Rockstar.

I can't agree here with you. I carefully chose a set for my band (not my 'real' kit, that's a '66 slingerland) and we came for the money on a rockstar kit with the better (remo) pinstripes on it, and the swingstar snaredrum (the rockstar snaredrum really sucks). After a lot of tuning and all, it sounds really like a pro kit.

The most important thing are the skins anyway I think..

So to wrap things up: every single one. Oh well, I guess I'll go to Woodwind&Brasswind and do some shopping after christmas

Well, just to clarify - I got the Mapex kit b/c it seemed to be the best bang for the buck. It's got maple inner and outer plys in the shells (which most sets in the sub $550 range don't have) and very sturdy hardware. I also liked the finish options. The stock heads are crappy though.

Back