Who makes a nice Saxophone VST?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
DVS Saxophone is free . Not sure if it is convincing enough to sound authentic. What are yall using for a saxophone? Tips on Saxophone VST usage welcome.

This where I am at with the DVS VST. Whatcha think?

Kinda sounds like George Micheal's 'I want your sex' meets Kenny G in a UFC death match. It is 'tootie' and I am looking for something more sonorous.

Last edited:
I’m a vsti fan but I have never found a single one that can do a good sax for a solo, plenty of great ones for ensembles, but I’m still playing the things and then fixing them!

The technology is there, for an amazing saxophone virtual instrument. How the breath and growl shuts off for the gliss'd lead parts, makes it life like.

A sample based VST should do it better than a synth generated one.

All my VSTs are inexpensive or free. Would something like Omnisphere have more to offer? I see it billed as the most powerful soft synth. The most expensive too. Is it the best? Does it have a Sax preset?

There are some surprisingly good cheap Chinese ones - especially altos - that are not bad if you spend maybe $300, and then put a decent mouthpiece on them, but probably 600-1000 is more likely for one with decent tone. Tenors a bit more expensive, but usually nicer sounding - some altos can be a bit shrill. Sopranos go from silly money - $200 upwards, and they're a bit random - some easy to play others horrible because the action gets mis-aligned or just plain bent!

A friend of mine got told old saxes are great investments, so he bought lots when he came across them. Most are junk, a few nice and some exceptional. He can't play a note, so he just guessed. He has a Selmer Mk 6 - supposed to be the great collectable, but it's shot. Needs so much work to repad and replace worn parts, I'm not certain that he'll ever get the money back - but he bought a Japanese quality sax thinking it was a cheap Chinese one and it's wonderful - and he won't let me buy it off him now!

Perhaps I should start a new thread called, "what is stopping everyone from hiring session players?" A modestly talented sax player is going to sound better than a sample due to the performance variations.

I have some orchestral samples from Spitfire which are pretty good. Unlike sax players, string ensembles are pretty pricy. The BBC collection can be had for free and is quite good. There are some collections with Saxophone. Then there are the performance control parameters. Other than a breath controller, I'm trying to wrap my head around how you'd make it sound convincing.

I am an amateur hobbyist. I was gonna cover an Eddie and Cruisers tune. It had a Sax solo..

Hire?

Spitfire you say. Ok, I will check it out.
The more I read through posts here, the more I am seeing this pervasive ideal of the solo artist that has to perform everything, engineer and produce it all themselves. Can you? Should you? What the hell happened to working with other musicians?

Local high school music teacher is a great upright bass player. He does a lot of local session work, likes to collaborate and knows a ton of other musicians. Can I as a guitar player, play bass? Barely and it will sound like a guitar player playing bass. Upright, forget it. I'm certainly not going to sound as good as him. Lots of instruments just don't really work virtually if it is up front. Pedal Steel for instance and I'd put horns into that category. I went to school with a really talented sax player. He's not a professional musician and went on to sell insurance but has played in a number of local bands. Over the years a song writer/producer I started out with would have him come in on sessions for short money and even sometimes for just for beer and pizza.

Let me guess, you live on a remote island with no other people.

. I went to school with a really talented sax player. He's not a professional musician and went on to sell insurance but has played in a number of local bands
I was a paramedic for 12 years(2 recerts). Then I graduated from tech school and rebuilt fleet transmissions for a trucking company in some back room.

I never did anything with music because it did not pay money needed to survive.

Last edited:
I was a paramedic for 12 years. Then I graduated tech school and rebuilt fleet transmissions for a trucking company in some back room. They came on a palette.

Bean counters for our contracting group decided to switch to refurbishing medical equipment for respiratory therapists and nursing homes. Company disloves in the end of May. I thought it would all work out. We made it this far through COVID.

I never did anything with music because it did not pay money needed to survive..No mom or dad..
I did think the Gilligan's Island response was funnier than this one. Mine was just some open thinking. Just seems things are worse since the pandemic but I don't think my observation doesn't apply to pre-covid times. Live music venues struggling to hang on and the ability to jam and collaborate with other artists lost.

I ran an open mic night for years at a local venue. Like my user name, it was folk oriented but we got everything from acoustic guy or gal with guitar to zydeco fusion. A local producer friend would book an up and coming unknown folk artist as a main act. Format was open mic for an hour then the headline followed by the remaining open mic participants. Was a great place to meet some talented local musicians. I brought a 8 track digital recorder and recorded all the performances, offering to provide a mix for those interested. Doing this, I collected the contact info for a ton of musicians. I got paid, entertained and built a musician contact list and built my clientele.

I've always had a day gig and worked to feed a family. I made music my side hustle as a means to be able to stay connected to it. I was fortunate that what I did landed me an engineering job in the Studio at Bose. I'm a rather undisciplined musician but am technically oriented, which was enough to keep a career around music and AV.

I'm empathetic to your situation. Hope you get to a point where you see a vision of the possible vs impossible.

The more I read through posts here, the more I am seeing this pervasive ideal of the solo artist that has to perform everything, engineer and produce it all themselves. Can you? Should you? What the hell happened to working with other musicians?
I've been, and go, through both phases. I've had friends that have done drums, percussion, oboe, clarinet, alto sax, vocals, piano, organ, recorder, electric piano, accordion, violin, piccolo and flute, on my songs, in times past.
If I had my way, I'd never go near a VSTi. It would be live musicians all the way, forever and a day.
But that is simply not real life. I'm quite a prolific song writer and recorder. I keep trying to stop writing, but then, an idea comes and it sounds good in my head and I won't not work on it ! So consequently, I have loads of songs in various stages of development. And let's face it, none of them are so important for the survival of mankind, that old friends that can play certain things are going to drop what they're doing to come and play on them. And then organizing all of that with everyone's different schedules.......it's already akin to the invasion of Sweden, just trying to get 3 singers to sing on a few songs.
So VSTis were an absolute Godsend for me. I can turn my hand to guitars, bass, double bass, banjo, mandolin, percussion and occasional drums, so I don't need VSTis for them. But I like all manner of brass, strings, Indian instruments, orchestral stuff, all manner of keyboards, etc ¬> and that means VSTis. Rarely do they not sound like real instruments. I've learned how to tweak them. And I'll be using them until I drop probably, because when I'm hot to trot, I can't be waiting around for a friend to pop in from the States or Zambia or wherever. Mind you, when they are around, I try to utilize them. Not easy though.
As for doing all the stages myself, alone, I do kind of like the idea of that. Blame Jimmy Page. He gave me the idea.

What are yall using for a saxophone?
I find that saxes are great as part of an overall sound but not so hot as a solo featured instrument. I use Sampletank 2 and First Call Horns for saxes. I love the sound of the baritone sax.
I also found this tenor sax sample that someone posted about 10 years ago, called De Souza tenor sax. I really like it and use it a lot, often in conjunction with the baritone.
I find that it's always necessary to tweak the sax and record it without reverb. I'll add it after, if it's going to get any.
I also make sure that my lone saxes are surrounded and tamed by the other instruments, so they stand up but don't stand out, if that makes any sense.

IHope you get to a point where you see a vision of the possible vs impossible.
Coming to a crossroads ahead, I am seriously thinking of doing a tiny home. If I sold my house, I think I could retire early and just fuck around. I get severance for a bit too....something with property taxes around <$1800 a year. Solar power bank...electric Tesla car. Live the dream...I like gardening too. The soil is always too dry, and I had no time. Anyways...good for you.

Music didnt work out. Im old now. Just a hobby. An escape.

I find that saxes are great as part of an overall sound but not so hot as a solo featured instrument.
You think there is a trick to bringing the sample sax forward to command the mix? Like compress it 3 times, or something? Are there 'horn FX' chains for the DAW?

Last edited:
What plays that? Kontakt? Is it expensive?

Id like one of those fancy soft synths.

How is Omnisphere?
Omnisphere is the single best soft synth I've ever heard. It's a bottomless pit of stellar sounds and I use it (and have for years and dating back to the original Atmosphere plug-in) every day at my job. Eric Persing (the owner of Spectrasonics) is one of if not the single best programer of synth sounds ever. It's my #1 recommendation for those looking to get into a soft synth plug-in. That said however Omnisphere is animated and lush and to some degree moves away from the very accurate articulations found in other plug-ins. The original Atmosphere was designed primarily as a soft synth that did pad-like stuff. Indeed Atmospheric. The evolution of Omnisphere has made it a MUCH more all-around inclusive synth that does everything well but if dead on accurate, and a great sampling of organic instruments is what one is looking for, there are much better choices. East/West libraries have always had specific libraries that address individual instruments. ie: sax, cello, viola, violins. Costly to be sure and it's important to note that playing an organic instrument as a soft synth, as an actual sax, takes a fairly large investment into how to approach the sound as a sax player would. It can be extraordinarily good and extraordinarily accurate but it will never be as simple as just calling up a plug-in and playing

Sensual sax is twenty dollars! Worth a go?
Rob , that is how they get you...$299.99 on sale for $9.99..Sounds like a good deal. I don't know.

This last year I worked on building my VST library and took advantage of holiday sales..I did it right too. Waiting til it was buy 2 at $20, get 4 free or something. It was seriously a screwed up deal. I fear for people that pay full for these things.

I want something with everything..you know. Is that too much?

Back