Who influenced your style?

mikeh

Has anyone dug back to see who really influenced your playing style (not just some current popoular drummer - but perhaps who influenced them)? It can be an interesting and rewarding process.

Please allow me to relay something I discovered about an influence on me, that I did not even know was an influence: Like many musicians I was influenced by drummers in the current "pop" bands as I "grew up" - since those were the songs I practised to on the radio and were eventually the bands/songs in bands that I joined

Since I reached my teens in the early 60's I was originally very influenced by the 60's R&B drummers Clyde Stubblefield & Jabo Starks (James Brown), Benny Benjamin (Motown) and a little later, Greg Errico (Sly & Family Stone). In the 60's rock hit I was very much influnced by Don Brewer (Grand Funk), Charlie Ward (Black Sabbeth) and Keith Moon (Who) - but I never really stopped having solid R&B roots. A little later Danny Seraphine (Chicago) and Bobby Columby (Blood, Sweat & Tears) merged R&B with rock and that was exactly what I needed based on my earlier influnces.

However, as I started to read Modern Drummer magazine (somewhere in the early 80's) I saw many drummers - including people who influenced me, discussed New Orleans "second line" drumming, etc. (I'd never heard of second line drummer to that point) and one name that came up often was Zigaboo Modeliste (Meters). I had never heard a Meters recording and to the best of my knowledge I had never heard Modeliste play. I had mentioned to my wife that someday I would like to buy some Meter's recordings - but never got around to it.

I few years ago, my wife tracked down a CD of early Meters and put it in the car CD player while we were on a road trip. The drummer sounded exactly like me (or at least like my funk playing in the 60's/70's - which still influences my drumming to this day). I actually thought she had tracked down a recording of a some band I may have been in (but I did not recognize the songs).

Long story short - Zigaboo had clearly influenced many of the people who influenced me and by learning the styles of those people and using that to create my own "style" - I actually ended up sounding like the original influence - without even knowing it.

John Bonham, Ian Paice, Mitch Mitchell, Jeff Porcaro, a lot of classic drummers. In the 90´s Pasillas, Chamberlin, can´t recall Pearl Jam´s drummer name.

Interesting question

When I was first started teaching myself drums, I was heavily influences by classic rock. So drummers like Bohnam, Moon, Mitchell, Peart and even Densmore where big influences. But I also really dug the simplicity and pocket of drummers like Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Phil Rudd (AC/DC), and even Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones).

I remember when GreenDay first hit the airwaves someone called me up and said "Holy Cow, that sounds exactly like you on drums!!!" I know what he meant, we definitely approach THAT type of music almost identically, so I'm guessing we had very similar influences.

My influences are ALL over the map, though. Very eclectic. So it's interesting to hear something I hadn't heard in many, many years and I smile and say to myself "oh, so that's where that tasty fill came from". :rolleyes:
Examples of that would be Cozy Powell (Rainbow), Narada Michael Walden (Jeff Beck), Tony Williams, Lenny White, etc., etc., etc.

I also find it fascinating to listen to jazz drummers to hear how they influenced other generations. Buddy Rich's influence on Peart for example - especially during his solos. I also hear A LOT of Joe Morello in Bohnam's playing.

my hugest influence is Abe Cunningham. then i'd say Chad Smith. but my playing style i'd say sounds really similar to Abe Cunningham, just not as solid haha.

John Bonham, Bill Bruford, Ian Paice, Neal Peart, Barrymore Barlow, Carl Palmer, Steve Gadd... Pretty much in that order

Of course, I listened to Ringo early on, but really didn't appreciate what he did until later on when I 'grew up' as a drummer...

Influences:
1. Gadd​
2. Jeff Porcaro​
3. Purdie​
4. Steve Smith​
5. Prince​

Obviously Buddy...watching him on Carson in the 70s just mesmerized me...but I could never play that style.

Cholo

James Gadson
Ringo
Jaco Pastorius
Boris Williams and Jason Cooper (The Cure)
Nana Vasconcelos (Brazilian)
Max Roach
Joey Baron
Carlinhos Brown (Brazilian)
Changuito (Cuban)
El Negro (Cuban)
Phil Rudd
Kiko Freitas (Brazilian)
Jamie Haddad
Ray Brown (the bass player)
Bootsy Collins (the bass player)
Milton Banana (Brazilian)
Ziggy
Zooty
Prince/Morris Day/etc
Ariovaldo Contesini Paulinho (Brazilian)
Hal Blaine
Bill Stevenson (All/Descendants/Black Flag)
Joao Bosco (Brazilian singer/guitar player)
Alan Myers (Devo)
Charlie Watts
Papa Jo Jones
Philly Joe Jones
Robertinho de Silva (Brazilian)
DH Phillegro (Dead Kennedys)
Bonzo
Bernard Purdie
Whoever played drums on Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs

Chances are I was kidding... ;)

/sarcasm tags!

Nice list you have there zealot...I dig the Brazilians, their style, especially the guitar, is just awesome. 'Se' by Djavan is on my current playlist...

cholo

If you like Djavan I highly recommend his first release O Voz e o Violao, if you are not already hip. Ariovaldo Contesini Paulinho plays drums and it is easily in the top 10 of all MPB releases. Flawless brazilian pop.

Back