Who else records guitar direct.

Be Loveless

I'm almost always dissapointed when I mic my cabinent. I seem to always get better cleaner more usable results by using the line out on my amp into my mixer. Anyone else feel the same way? By the way I almost always play super clean.

I nearly always go direct through a Rockman sustainor model 200 and hughes & Kettner Red Box MKII. Sounds sweet. I haven't fumbled with amps and mics for years when recording. Everyone always asks how I get my guitar tracks so smooth and professional sounding. -- Now you know.

:cool:

Help !!!!!

OK now that I got your attention (LOL)....I agree--me-thinks! I've been playing out (part time) for years & now getting into recording. Hear my story...So I get this Beringher (spelling?) AMP that has FX modelling & line out
(So So for gigging but GREAT for recording). Well I LOVE to record, but I also like to be HEARD a little when we gig. THe Old Blue Devil wasn't cuttin it, so I am in the market for a 'more powerful amp'. Problem is after SHOPPING around, testing & listening to on-line reviews, I am as confused as SH&# !!
EXAMPLE, I was looking at the Behringer GMX212 (quality ???), the Fender Stage160(another 212)--almost 6 bills, and the CRATE FXT 212(350 bucks).
The CRATE was VERY IMPRESSIVE, but it doesn't have a line out (nor a headphone Jack). What a shame!!! At least with my old Blue Devil Modelling Amp
I could line out to the TASCAM recorder & get those neat FX (out of the modelling amp) with a CLEAN SOUND. What to do????? DOn't want to buy one AMP for gigging (i.e FXT 212 is decent power/sound/FX--albeit no line out or
Speaker out--although it does have an EXT Speaker out).

Ronnie James

Not recording direct!

I'm still mike my fender tube amp thru my rinky dink aphex preamp then to my Tascam. It's simple and neanderthal, but I can play clean without any string noise...if that's the kind of clean you want. My amp is too much watts (Deluxe Reverb-22 watts) and believe or not I'm looking to build a Valco-Supro simple 14 watt amp this summer. I'm having a more difficult time of trying to either mike and/or go direct with my bass guitar amp. I can't seem to get the McCartney-Sgt Pepper bass sound onto tape. But who can?

Oh, k1 I think McCartney's sound had a lot to do with his technique. He would be constantly mute release mute . Like for every freakin note! If you watch closely in old clips you can see it. I think he's kind of a prick but a damn good bass player (once).

Odd I was just thinking about this very subject earlier. I used to record direct into my computer and got decent results sometimes.

Now that I record on analog.... I mic my cabinet always, it captures the tone of my guitar better. I hate the way sm57's sound on guitar cabinets though even though people swear by them

Be Loveless said:
Good to know I'm not alone. Tell me more about the Red Box Beck.

Here's a some links including the manual for the latest version from the Hughes & Kettner site, and an archived page for the older model.

http://www.wicasta.com/music/gear/mk2.html

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/files/downloads/RedBox_pro_klein.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20010128...r.com/startseite/manuals/RedBox/redboxmk2.htm

There have been four different versions over the years. If looking on eBay for used, anything from the second version (MKII) and later all sound great. They're all built like a tank. The older versions were labeled Red Box "Cabinetulator" which is what I have. The latest version uses no battery, while the earlier ones use a 9-volt battery or adaptor.

:cool:

Be Loveless said:
Yeah I think the 57 sounds like poop too. I don't think it was ever intended for clean guitar tones.
I often use a 57 on amps all the time! A 57 on an amp is responsible for many of the classic rock guitar sounds that many are so fond of...

I suspect that along with the room, it's the way you're mic'ing the amps that's the issue....... not to mention also that without a good pre, it's much harder to get dynamics mics to "reveal themselves"...........

Blue Bear Sound said:
I often use a 57 on amps all the time! A 57 on an amp is responsible for many of the classic rock guitar sounds that many are so fond of...

I suspect that along with the room, it's the way you're mic'ing the amps that's the issue....... not to mention also that without a good pre, it's much harder to get dynamics mics to "reveal themselves"...........
nah, they use them 99% of the time on my cabinet at live shows. We borrowed a Sennheiser e609 from some band we played with once and the recording from the board sounded great. Great soundguy too, we've done several board recordings from him and the one with the Sennheiser sounded best.

People rely on their 57's a bit too much. We did a session live on the radio, they were using 2 sm57's overhead on the drums.

I dont think a 57 ever sounds "bad" persay though, just weird sometimes. I just think there are better mics to do the job. For live sound they do the job decent. Although in a studio its my expierience they sound just a tad thin

Thanks for da links Beck will check them soon. Blue Bear, I use a roland JC-77 (2x10) and yeah my room is small (9x11) and dead (it was either dead or echo ringing, I went for dead) I use a Parker and go for a real clean surf/country ish tone that I can get out of my rig but can't get it into my (don't laugh) tascam 488 with a 57. I've tried all sorts of distances and positions to no avail. What would you suggest with the equipment I have? I just can't seem to find a use for that damn mic on guitar but have strangely enough found uses for it on vocals.

Back