Who drummed for Steve Miller

wimat

I was listening to some classic rock this weekend and noticed that Steve Miller's drummer was pretty damn good. He was laying down funky grooves and innovative patterns in main stream radio way before I can recall anyone else.

Does anyone know who it was?

Depends on the song - when it all began, in 1966, Tim Davis was his drummer, then Jack King. then John King played for the Joker album, Gary Mallaber for Fly like an Eagle, then Gordy Knudtson came on board with Born 2B Blue and (I believe) is still playing with him today.

Thats too funny

I was wondering about that this weekend.Dance Dance Dance is a great one to play to.
Who was on Steely Dans AJA?

Steve Gadd played the song Aja, other drummers on the Aja album were Paul Humphrey, Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta, Ed Greene and Jim Keltner.

Mikeh,

For a living - I am a problem solver - and the trick isn't knowing all the answers - but rather - knowing how to find the answers.

Tis no different here.

Rod

Rod

I believe Henry Ford following some insult when he did not know a specific fact made a statment to the effect "I don't clutter my mind with facts when I know I can look the facts up"

Do you have a specific resource data base regarding who played on what song - or do you simply look at CD's in your collection?

I always read credits to see who is on a recording - but I rarely remember more than a day or two.

mikeh said:
Do you have a specific resource data base regarding who played on what song - or do you simply look at CD's in your collection?

Mike,

Actually - it's neither of the above.

When I look for answers I generally check multiple sources to be certain of my answers.

When I was young I had almost a perfect photographic memory....... I could generally quote building and mechanical codes (among other things) verbatim - and tell you the page and paragraph they were on.

Now (oh so many years later) it's more of a sense and I have to check to verify my facts.

So today - in my profession - just as with my music - although I might not be as quick as when i was young - there is a strong maturity that exists and makes up for the small losses.

At least - i think they're small............

Rod

AMAZING!
I laughed when I realized that I said Dance Dance Dance
was a good song to play to.(My grampa...) :)
I meant, Come on and Dance.
Why is AJA a very fullfilled song both Musically and Production wise? What did they do to make that recording
so loud and full?

Back