Who do you use for mastering?

strmkr

I am in the middle of mixdown madness for my band's upcoming album,and I guess it is time to think about who to send it to for mastering. Do any of you have reccomendations for mastering facilities you like? Horror stories about who to stay away from?

Thanks in advance............Les:)

thanx for the replies........keep em coming!

Kryogh,I am from Tulsa,OK,right in the middle of the Bible belt(ugh)

Peace!!:)

Thanks for the replies and links. Don,I would love to have a Bob Katz mastering job,but he is probably a little out of my price range,lol

Les

this may be a stupid question, but how much would one expect to pay to get, say five songs, mastered by a pro. does it vary with the type of music? type of media its delivered on? now, dont give me some dumb answer, like $50-$100,000, cause I realize there is gonna be a price differntial. but just a ballpark, reasonable number

thanks- jeff

I have been checking around for a couple days now for a good midrange facility.God knows I would love to have someone like Bob Katz or Bernie Grundman, Bennie Quinn, Bob Ludwig(and the list goes on) but reality has set a budget.I am looking at about $800, give or take for 10 songs.

In addition to SAE and Bluefield above,I am checking out Erik Wolf at Wolf Mastering I was going to email him for some samples of his work until I opened his client list and realized I already had some in my cd collection.

I think it might be reasonable to get a decent mastering job done on 5 songs somewhere in the $300-$400 range,give or take a few.

that's about right on target budget-wise...be sure to give whoever you use a lot of different mixes to work with..

good luck..:)

I recently had an 11 song CD mastered. I used http://superdigital.com/ I doubt if they do mastering other than in person, but I added my 2 cents because it was $75 per hour and took about 2 1/2 hours. Rick McMillen did a great job, IMHO. I spent a lot of time doing the mixing beforehand. So, that gives you some idea.

Take Care

RJT, do you think i could hear one song both mix version and master version?

I'm really curious on how much mastering actually does. I know its the mix that matters, so i'd like to compare.

How did it come out? I was looking at John's site the other day.

It is going to ba a while yet before I am ready. I just broke it down and decided to re-track a lot of stuff.:rolleyes:

Back