White noise from monitors.

Ape-x

I bought a pair of KRK RP5 G2's a couple of weeks back, and when I set them up they had pretty bad white noise, and the right speaker had an audible buzz coming from it. I put this down to the fact that they were plugged in using an RCA cable going into the computer jack.

Once I got my Focusrite Scarlett and some XLR to TRS cables through it did increase the sound quality, but the white noise and buzz are still there. I scoured google and found a post on some website saying that the power coming from the mains plug may not be sufficient? Apart from that I couldn't find any other info.

Is it something faulty with the product, or is there something going on at my end? And is there any way to get rid of it?

Try lifting the shield on the balanced cables at the monitor end, there could be a ground loop causing digital noise in the Focusrite.

Alan.

They were buzzing even before i got the focusrite, so it can't be that.

The ground loop is between the computer and the KRK's, what every is connected between makes the loop happen, directly into the computer or with the focusrite. So it can be that.

Alan.

You might want to try just powering the monitors with nothing else connected other than the power and have them set mid level and make a note of the noise generated by the bi amplification that's included within the cabinets. I've listenned to a number of pairs of active monitors on my own journey whilst getting my studio together and found that the majority of the active systems have white noise present when powered. The amount of this noise should be noted in the signal to noise ratio spec of the on board amps. I think the white noise is something you probably have to live with if using a speaker product which has it as a characteristic. Buzzes certainly shouldn't be present and can cured by folowing a process of elemination. I tried a lot of models from different manufacturers and to be honest every pair within my budget had some noise from the amps but I did find what I could live with when balanced out by the remaining performance charcateristics and I simply don't listen out for it, as it would do my head in and have me on a goose chase.

regards

Tim

Back