whiskey river

No problem Pete. The only other thing that I meant to write in the previous post, but forgot was a sense that the mix sounds a little bit smaller than others I've heard from you recently.

I think it's probably the transition to real drums from good quality samples you've used of late - and so the capture isn't quite as full in terms of dynamics as your other ape teeth stuff. It maybe compounded a little by the tubey saturation on the vocals too. It's in no way a nit or something that sounds bad, and I'd have no clue where to even begin micing a real kit - it's just something that caught my ear, and thought may be worth posting. It's cool that you've got a proper drum kit set back up.

No problem Pete. The only other thing that I meant to write in the previous post, but forgot was a sense that the mix sounds a little bit smaller than others I've heard from you recently.

I think it's probably the transition to real drums from good quality samples you've used of late - and so the capture isn't quite as full in terms of dynamics as your other ape teeth stuff. It maybe compounded a little by the tubey saturation on the vocals too. It's in no way a nit or something that sounds bad, and I'd have no clue where to even begin micing a real kit - it's just something that caught my ear, and thought may be worth posting. It's cool that you've got a proper drum kit set back up.

Yes, I think you're right about the smallness of it, and that must be attributed to the drums as not much else is different here.

I love playing and recording drums, but it's one of the harder things I've tried so far. This is another loaner kit - a ludwig accent combo with crappy, clear ludwig heads that the owner has dimpled with too many too hard hits I guess. I spent forever tuning them, but they still sound like ass.

I think I can get away with it for tunes like this and maybe some of my own tunes, but I'll still need those loops I think for anything I want to sound bigger or in any way more polished.

Awesome!! I like the rawness the overall feel! :D
The banjo is f*cking great!!
Great job!

Thank you Hugo. Although I don't actually play a banjo on this, there are some acoustic guitar parts that might sound a bit like one, and I don't mind if that is the case. Thanks again :).

Dang dude, nice! That's awesome! Flawed? Pshhhh

Thanks Lurker. Glad you liked it! It seems whatever flubs are present aren't a deal breaker for folks, so that is good. :)

I think it sounds "pro" enough that I honestly just melted into it and could listen without anything jumping out to me as bad or out of place. I didn't even notice any cardboard drums. It all sounded okay to me and fit together well.

Coming in after Greg usually causes me to do this (quote him) and then add my two cents.

Enjoyed it thoroughly ... and you're done.

Hi. Long time no see. Have only read through the first two pages of comments so far, but here goes.

Enjoying it, even though I like this song more uptempo. There's a funky stereo imbalance at 2:24, where the acc. guitar in the right channel hits a funky up-strum. On the silence breaks, I'd up the reverb on th R. Ch acc guitar so that there is a nice reverb tail in both speakers. I agree with the suggestions to bring the organ up in places, maybe do something improvisational with the end of the song... the organ track going on and on for a bit over a fade-out.

The only thing I didn't like was the first instance of vocal doubling -- it was distracting, and I think that it distracted me a bit from the whole first half of the song.

Cheers.

Hi. Long time no see. Have only read through the first two pages of comments so far, but here goes.

Enjoying it, even though I like this song more uptempo. There's a funky stereo imbalance at 2:24, where the acc. guitar in the right channel hits a funky up-strum. On the silence breaks, I'd up the reverb on th R. Ch acc guitar so that there is a nice reverb tail in both speakers. I agree with the suggestions to bring the organ up in places, maybe do something improvisational with the end of the song... the organ track going on and on for a bit over a fade-out.

The only thing I didn't like was the first instance of vocal doubling -- it was distracting, and I think that it distracted me a bit from the whole first half of the song.

Cheers.

Obi-Wan! The last time I saw you we were comparing pics of our oversized grateful dead collections...

I agree that a little more variation and improv would've been nice through the ending. I'm not comfortable enough with keys or drums yet to deviate from whatever pattern I create. :(

I didn't double the lead vocal at all, but maybe the background vocals sound a bit that way since there are some parts in unison? It was meant to sound more like back up singers, but it's just me, so I didn't get it sounding like the original there. I was actually kind of happy with how that came out though, other than the sloppiness of it...

Another fan of the faster version...hmm. May just come down to what we heard first as I definitely prefer the tempo of his studio version.

Thanks for checking it out!

The vocal delivery: around 1.15, you do the same thing I fall into sometimes when I do country - the delivery slips into slight parody of country.

Agree with this, but isn't country singing one of those vocal styles that if you don't sound like you're exaggerating and affecting some hayseed twang, you're not doing it right?

I like very little country... one Waylon Jennings album and some Johnny Cash songs. I sure as hell like whiskey, though. This isn't bad. I don't know the Willie Nelson version, but I'd be willing to bet that yours has more of a rock sound than the original... which, for me, is a good thing.

Agree with this, but isn't country singing one of those vocal styles that if you don't sound like you're exaggerating and affecting some hayseed twang, you're not doing it right?

I like very little country... one Waylon Jennings album and some Johnny Cash songs. I sure as hell like whiskey, though. This isn't bad. I don't know the Willie Nelson version, but I'd be willing to bet that yours has more of a rock sound than the original... which, for me, is a good thing.

Thanks. I think this is maybe a little more rock sounding, but not too much. It's a unique sort of tune I think.

I think there's several folks hearing the same thing on those verse vocals. Knowing it wasn't intentional on my part, I hear it a little different, but I certainly can see how it sounds exaggerated and that was not my intent. Still haven't decided if it's worth trying to redo those sections...if nothing else, I'll keep it in mind if I do another country type tune again. Thanks again!

Your vocal is fine. The yokel accent doesn't sound exaggerated... the only reason it might be noticeable at all is because you only do it a couple times. Besides, it's a freaking Willie Nelson song. If you sang it with a thick German or Russian accent, I might say there's a problem... but it seems you chose the one accent that fits the song like a glove. Y'all come back now, you hear. Christ back in schools! Fags shouldn't be allowed to marry. And so on and so forth.

Y'all come back now, you hear. Christ back in schools! Fags shouldn't be allowed to marry.

Coincidentally, those are the lyrics to the last verse, but I chose to leave them out for fear of controversy.

I think Willie himself might be a little more progressive than that though? He's certainly pro weed anyway. Not sure, I know little about him other than that.

Don't know much about Willie (except that old joke about the girl with the tattoos of the Beatles on her inner thighs), but I do know he's a dope smoker, and dope smokers tend to be "live and let live"-type people. So while I don't actually know his leanings, I would agree with you that Willie is likely rather progressive politically.

Back