Which XLR Cable?

Started recording, but I've not used my voice in aaaaaaages, so HUGE apologies for any bleeding ears that may result. Also think my girl may have passed her cold on to me, meh. :(

Okay here goes. My voice isn't to everyone's tastes, but for "technical information": I am slightly coldy right now. The breaking you can hear isn't the recording clipping, it's my voice graining out here and there. Also, I personally think I have a naturally almost "blocked nose" vocal, something I really want to work on. I'm sure it's just a matter of finding a way to open my vocal anatomy up a little more to let some more sound through. Whatever the problem is with my signal chain / rig, it seems to accentuate that a little more.

However, that all being said, you should be able to tell what parts of the downfall are due to my voice and what parts are down to my rig.

Good luck, intrepid helpers!

https://soundcloud.com/nadzilla/sets/vocal-tests

The esses do seem to be really held back or muffled, but other than that it just sounds like a pretty normal raw dynamic vocal track.

I'm honestly not sure if there's a problem or not.
Do you still have the PG58? Is it any clearer?

Shouldn't be, the "raw" track is with nothing else in the chain. I'm not sure if there is anything in my Cubase that is "always on" or passive in terms of compression. :/

Steenamaroo, yeah that's what I'm finding, they're really held back and I can't figure out why or how. I will have to check the PG some other time, the neighbours are home now so can't record again until my next bit of free time which should be the weekend, hopefully. Glad it mostly sounds like a normal track, though, heh.

Cheers guys. :)

I have a lot of experience with all sorts of cables from my former audiophile days, and I'll tell you this, cables DO make a difference, don't kid yourself that they don't. Because subtle differences often reveal themselves over time, you can eventually find yourself not liking the sound of something, and not really being sure why. Any blind listening test is by nature, limited. I have one Neumann and one Mogami XLR, and they both work well. I'd pop for a few extra dollars, and get the Mogami. It's not magabuck stuff, just 10-20% more than the basic ones. Good luck!

I have a lot of experience with all sorts of cables from my former audiophile days, and I'll tell you this, cables DO make a difference, don't kid yourself that they don't. Because subtle differences often reveal themselves over time, you can eventually find yourself not liking the sound of something, and not really being sure why. Any blind listening test is by nature, limited. I have one Neumann and one Mogami XLR, and they both work well. I'd pop for a few extra dollars, and get the Mogami. It's not magabuck stuff, just 10-20% more than the basic ones. Good luck!

They really don't. In blind testing, people can't tell the difference when unbent coat hangers are soldered together and used as speaker cable. Quality cables can offer durability, not an increase in performance.

Other than durability, the only thing I think about is what I learned on here - the more copper, the higher the capacitance, and the more of a low pass filter effect there is -- that is to say, if you take out a loan to buy a long cable that uses 10 times as much copper in the wires as the everyday cable, you'll cut the top end off of your signal, and if that goes all the way down into the audible spectrum (because of all the copper), then you may miss what's gone, which is bad, or even if it was good, it's something you could do later in the mix.

After having a few cables crack at the connector, I started making my own. Mine sometimes break, too, but at least I'm only livid with rage at myself when it happens

Back