Which windows should I use?

Brian-Idol

I've heard that Windows 98 is not very good, and 95 is not compatible with some new stuff, so is ME the best choice? WHat do you guys think? I'm getting a 800 mhz P3, w/ 128megs of ram, and a echo layla sound card. what is the best operating program?

thanks

I beleive all the Echo cards now have Win2000 drivers. NT4 and 2000 are both very excellent choices for a Windows based DAW. You might want to up your RAM to 256MB, but 128 is adequate.

You will experience a far more stable environment with the NT OS's.

Good luck.

Ed

As long as you make sure all your hardware have 2000 drivers available, and your PC is going to be used for audio only, Ed is right and 2000 might be the best choice. But I am using Windows 98SE (Cakewalk 9, Gadget Labs Wave824 card) with no problems at all. I have written on this subject before (search over last 30 days) so I will not repeat a lot, but Win98 is a fine OS as long as you don't overload it with a lot of unnecessary / unreliable software.

No

Install 2000 from scratch instead. You'll be glad you did. My recommended Windows setup would be 98Lite, NT4.0 and W2000 in a tri-boot setup.

/O

Are there any significant differences, as far as recording audio goes, between Windows ME and Windows 2000? Any advantages/disadvantages of one or the other?

Re: RE:WHICH WINDOWS

peter miller said:
I would reccomend some nice big windows that open all the way out and let all the breeze in!!;)

"whats wrong with you..." thats what my cousing in miami told me all the time... she is a prettty guirl :D

well about the thread,
I have heard a lot of times that Windows ME its just an EXPERIMENT! thats right, an experiment to sell it to the people in the millenium, publicity.
with a lot of errors, more then win98... I try it myself and maybe was my hardware, but it descontrol all my computer at work, and for me, it SUCK!
(I work in a radio station, I use the computer for comercials)

in 2 more days I will have a new computer, for home:
PIII 800mhz, 256ram, and the Aark20\20.

I will use win98 without games and all the trash that does not help in audio, it will be a dedicated AUDIO pc.

so, win98 or 2000?? I know NT its very solid too.
mmmm, as for me, I think that in this right moment,
win98 its the one because the compatibilidad <-(spanish)of the drivers and softwares.

maybe in 3 or 5 or x months, I get the 2000 if need it.

NT???? mmmm, NT...what about it??
win 98 makes the job.

on a more serious note

go NT -I'm stuck with 98 'cause my soundcard does not have NT drivers. I did not know anything of DAW when I first started looking_ oh well nothing like hyndsight:(

Back