Which Windows OS?

Mixteco

Well almost done with my pc build...

now I need to decide which Windows Operating System to go with?

Windows XP or Windows 7?

Windows Xp is reliable and more secure but it's also the oldest operating system which means that soon there will be not much updates for it or so...

Windows 7 I know nothing about it firsthand except for the supposedly "good reviews" Ive been reading online about it and Im also wondering if it'd be any good for my recording needs...

I need some good informative insight:confused:

I've testing the 64bit 7 RC since it was made available and short of a couple of old usb devices with no 64bit drivers, it has been smooth sailing. Every 32bit audio app worked flawlessly.

Windows Xp is reliable and more secure but it's also the oldest operating system which means that soon there will be not much updates for it or so...

xp is not a secure system, most certainly not more secure then 7.

I mean my last desktop was running Windows Xp and never had a bluescreen or nothing crashed or anything stupid that would cause me to wanna throw it out the window. It ran for a good ole 7 yrs before a power surge burnt up the guts.

Windows Vista on the other hand has crashed, bluescreen, you name it...its been ticking me off so Im curious as to which OS to load onto my new build...

Sorry to hear you had problems with Vista, I would personally go with 7. I just did a box earlier this week with 7, and like altitude said I had no problems with any drivers for legacy equipment, I found it was running quite fast even with all the stupid fancy graphical effects, and was generally pleased. I haven't had continued experiences with it yet but it struck me as being pretty well done.:)

Without knowing what software you are planning on using and if it would even be compatable with a particular OS it's really not possible to make a serious recommendation

However
I've been running 7 since it was released as a Beta for testing and so far have not had any problems with it and anything that was running on vista appears to be running normally on 7 and 7 seems to be pretty nicely done.

I also had zero problems with Vista or XP

The OS is really just a platform that the software launches from. Most of the Vista "problems" I investigated for people came down to them trying to run incompatable software or use 32 bit only plugins in a 64 bit version of the OS.

So to put it all together:
Do your research to figure out what you want to run needs to work, whether you need to load in 32 or 64 bit modes, research your gears drivers and what is available and then pick your OS based on that rather than sticking in an OS and then trying to make a bunch of incomptable software operate at the wrong bit rate and then complain about the OS, which is what a lot of people seemed to try with Vista (presumably so they could "Use" more RAM whether they actually needed it or not)

Oh and security wise. Vista and 7 are far superior to XP

I run XP Pro with no head aches.

Will use Win 7 when I build my new box it will be a rack mounted machine dedicated to recording.

Would like a Mac Pro but they cost to much.

Back to Windows security it is a non issue if you dedicate a computer for DAW ( best thing you can do ) and keep off the network/internet It will be fast and cause very few issues if there are any.

My 2 KW's

For most of my recording needs I use my good ole but reliable Adobe Audition 1.5 and acouple of freeware vst's...

Im beginning to think I should go with Windows 7...

but it'll have to wait I didnt realize I spent more than I make, moneywise!

If your planning on audition 1.5 I would go with XP. Adobe 1.5 is at least 4 and half years old and was designed to run with windows 2000/xp. Vista and Windows 7 weren't even a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye when Audition 1.5 was realeased.

I'd say you need to upgrade to the current verion of audition if you want to use a current OS without problems.

If everybody still made drivers, I would still be using Windows 2000, rock solid, never had a crash, as they said at the time (based on NT Technology) and NT was the industrial equipment operating system.

I had to eventually update to XP pro and it's been reasonably good, would never go Vista.

I await Windows 7 reports with interest, I think it will be fine.

Cheers

Alan.

I ran XP with my tascam 1641 for years without problems, once I updated to Vista I had many latency problems which are not fully corrected yet. I have a dual processor with a fast audio card and have down loaded the vista driver too, so I have to assume it is Vista. Phil

Back