which volume to increase

westermane

When you guys are recording drum machines, keyboards, elec guitars, etc. into your recorder - how do you set the volume? For instance, with my drum machine, I'm not sure if I should crank the volume to the max and then adjust the input levels, or if I should have a medium volume from the drum machine and then adjust the multitrack levels. Is there a correct method to this or does it not even matter?

Thanks!

It is better to put maximum volume at the source and adjust the input levels. This way, the better are your chances to avoid back ground noises in your recordings. And the signal you will record will be more complete over the frequency bandwidth.

The level theory is called Unity Gain or Max Headroom.At each stage of the signal chain,the signal should be as hot as possible prior to clipping (or "overs") happening.Otherwise,noise will be added at each stage.
Conveniently,audio designers usually place the unity gain point about 70% of the master gain's travel (see vox's post) for quick and easy settings.Another thread recently was talking about the clip lights on most boards flashing 3 or more dB before the actual clip point (so you can slam levels a little bit there).
Try the following method and see if your headroom doesn't increase;Set the main faders at 0 dB and a SINGLE channel strip fader at 70% travel (there will be a mark).While playing the instrument at its top level,turn up the trim pot untill the master led hits 0 dB.Pull that fader down and repeat with all the other channels one at a time.Subtract about 1 dB per track at the master faders when all tracks are set.Return all active faders to the 70% line.
You now have each track set loud but clean,as well as a bit of room to move up or down on all faders to balance things.Obviously a cowbell or claves isn't going to be set as loud as the kick.But the theory will get you a hot signal with room to adjust.

Tom

Hey here's an idea, ....

SEE WHAT SOUNDS BETTER!!!!

If you crank the electronic instrument an its own output is distorting you wont see that clipping on your mixer. Try to get the best level to tape by all means, BUT, ALWAYS DO WHAT SOUNDS BETTER :)

Back