Which vocal mic around 150?

willthethrill

My dad is looking to buy a new mic for his vocals, and probably use it with acoustic guitar tracks too. Any recommendations on mics, or anything out of the following? Thanks!

AKG Perception 200
Shure SM86
MXL 992
MXL 9090

The sm86 is a good mic. Have you looked into the Audio-Technica At2020? At $99 it's a GREAT mic. I bought the 2020 packaged with the 2021 pencil condenser ($149 for both) and find myself choosing the 2020 more and more over mics that cost a lot more.

Side note-why do some jerks post a "Check one of the 3.7 million threads about the exact same topic" reply instead of either giving a little personal advice to someone, or just shutting the hell up?

Marshall MXLv67G for Vocals and Ill let apl tell ya what to get for acoustic......

Sal4001 said:
The sm86 is a good mic. Have you looked into the Audio-Technica At2020? At $99 it's a GREAT mic. I bought the 2020 packaged with the 2021 pencil condenser ($149 for both) and find myself choosing the 2020 more and more over mics that cost a lot more.

Side note-why do some jerks post a "Check one of the 3.7 million threads about the exact same topic" reply instead of either giving a little personal advice to someone, or just shutting the hell up?

Why do some jerks fail to see the redundancy of these posts? They happen multiple times a day, so shut the fuck up if you don't like how I post. Are you some kind of fucking post police? Get used to it or you aren't going to like this forum much. So kindly fuck off and never speak of, or to me again.

Theres alot of mics in that range...The SP C1 has to be the best Ive used...SM57s are used alot and can be found used for just a little.

jonnyc said:
Why do some jerks fail to see the redundancy of these posts? They happen multiple times a day, so shut the fuck up if you don't like how I post. Are you some kind of fucking post police? Get used to it or you aren't going to like this forum much. So kindly fuck off and never speak of, or to me again.

dude have you tried the search function lately?....i put in "vocals acoustic microphone" and chose microphone forum only and i got ALOT of unusable info.....

besides, the cheap market for microphones changes a good bit and great values are always being found......a few months ago, the MSH-1A wouldnt show up on a search probably......

so if there are 3,7 million threads on the same topic, theres probably 3.7 replies saying "do a search".....and the time and energy it took for you to post that, you could have easily just made a recommendation of an actual mic......

jonnyc said:

Gee, Johnny's a little sensitive aren't we? Lay off the caffeine there bro. Sorry I don't spend my life in theses forums like you must obviously do. I wasn't aware they happen multiple times a day. I spend my time making music, and occasionally lending a little advice to the uninformed, but I guess you're so fucking informed we should all direct our questions to you. If you can't give a little useful advice to someone, just put your thumb right back up your ass and shut the fuck up. Oh, and have a nice day!

Last edited:
Even though all the Behringer haters will light up, try the Behringer B-1 condenser mic, I got one and am really happy with it around $150CDN.

Reactions: apl
Gidge said:
dude have you tried the search function lately?....i put in "vocals acoustic microphone" and chose microphone forum only and i got ALOT of unusable info.....

besides, the cheap market for microphones changes a good bit and great values are always being found......a few months ago, the MSH-1A wouldnt show up on a search probably......

so if there are 3,7 million threads on the same topic, theres probably 3.7 replies saying "do a search".....and the time and energy it took for you to post that, you could have easily just made a recommendation of an actual mic......

WOOOOO YEAH

Just for kicks, I'll chime in, as this looks like such a fun, liively place! :)

I traded an old tape machine I couldn't use for an Audio-Technica AT4033, and have gotten some nice vocal tracks with it into my Tascam 788. For dynamics, I found a Sennheiser 435- it looks like something Elvis would have used in Las Vegas! Sounds great, and is quite sensitive to the singer's position. Great for live as well as recording.

I think you can find the AT4033 for around $150 used.

Sal4001 said:

look at our post counts. we've answer this question more times than we'd like to remember.

ive been here 3 months and i've answered this almost 25 times.

Back