Which version?

Calwood

Have you ever written a tune and were pretty excited about it,..then,..you start to develope it and you end up saying,..."Where the hell did that come from?"?
I recently had this happen,..in a bad way. A friend and I are writing a tune through the net. He lives in N.C. and I'm in PA. He wrote the lyrics and gave me the go ahead to do a rough sketch of the tune.
I did a rough acoustic trying to figure things out,..then I went to track it,..by the time i mixed it I was surprised how much I disliked it. I mean I wrote the freakin' thing!!
Anyway,.I put both versions up on the net for him to critique and continue the writing process. Much to my dismay he liked the electric version and thought the acoustic version sucked. Of course I'm the opposite. I would like to finish developing the acoustic version.
But,..we are going ahead with electric one. He'll be up in a couple weeks to track it and he will sing it,('cause I suck!!)
These are all rough tracks and a rough mix on the electric one but we'll keep some elements of it.
I thought i'd ask what you guys think. Which one would you try and develope?

Thanks for any input you may offer.
"Fred Tune (electric)"
"Fred Tune(acoustic)"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/davejammusic.htm

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

The obvious is that the vocal is a little buried in the electric song I guess. But youre redoing all that anyways so no big deal. It's cause of the stereo processing on it, though.

As far as development...isn't it the same song? The electric one has already been developed and the acoustic one has nothing else on it. You went kinda Pink Floyd or (who did that Twilight Zone song in the 80s?) on the vocal and production of it. Maybe thats why you don't like it.

The drums are kinda upbeat for the down, minor feel of the rest of the song, like it's in double time of something..is that what you don't like? It's definately not pop/rock at all, the chord changes and feel is too eclectic for that. The rythm seems like it carries you then stops then picks up. It's not the timing I'm talking about, just the feel of it.

I dunno, it all depends on where you really want to go with it. If you don't like the electric version start over. Lord knows I have scrapped versions of songs more times than I can count, and rarely does an original idea make it to CD anyways. But if you track the other guys vocals and change the placement of some of the parts the song could take on a whole different feel, so maybe you want to wait and build it around his vocal? Just a thought.

Good luck!:)

H2H

I like your voice man, it sounds like the guy from the Meat Puppets...technically weak, but I feel like it has some character to it. I want to hear the new vocals one too and compare.

H2H
Good observations brother. Thanks alot. Maybe it is the drums. Youre right,.. they really dont fit.
Yeah,..the acoustic was just a quick idea I had to do the song in another way. Yeah,..same tune,..but i thought it would be better to develope the tune going that way as opposed to the electric one.
Hopefully we will end up changing this whole thing around to take on a new feel,..i hope so anyway,..I still dont like this one (elec. version) at all.

Zepp
Thanks for the compliment. My own voice is starting to grow on me a little,..at least I can listen to a mix without wanting to hurl. I've been workin' on getting it better,..long way to go still though.
I'll post the other one with my buddy singin',..he really is better than I am.
Thanks for the listen.

Any other comments appreciated.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Either way you slice it i think that vocal is no bueno.

If i had to pick a fav...
I liked the acoustic one better.
It had a more intimate vibe, and the playing in general is straight up killer.

xfinsterx

I'd have to agree. Man,..i cant stand that elec. version. I'd much rather work on this going the acoustic route. I'm still trying to convince my friend that thats the way to go.
Maybe i can convince him to kinda marry the 2 versions. He has alot better voice than I do. I'd really like to get some of his vocal on some of that slower intimate acoustic riffage.

Thanks for the listen brother,..

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Back