which type cable????

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
Total MIDI noob here. I'm looking to connect my keyboard to my computer. I use a M-Audio 2496 card for my normal interface which also has MIDI in/out. The question is should I get MIDI cords w/ DIN plugs on each end and connect to the M-Audio card or get a USB/MIDI cable?

so if i understand you correctly, the keyboard has a usb jack, but your sound card doesn't? I'm pretty sure since midi is only transferring information and commands and not sound, you should be able to bypass the soundcard. Easiest thing for me to do was buy a USB to USB and attach my edrum midi to my pc. Usb cords are cheaper if that influences your decision.

The keyboard doesn't have USB, just MIDI 5 pin DIN. The computer had USB & 5 pin DIN on the 2496 card. I have seen cables for MIDI that on one end have USB and the other both in & out MIDI 5 pin DIN. It's really a question of what would be better from the computer side, USB or MIDI 5 pin DIN. The computer's USB is 2.0 if that makes a difference as opposed to 1.1.

The keyboard doesn't have USB, just MIDI 5 pin DIN. The computer had USB & 5 pin DIN on the 2496 card. I have seen cables for MIDI that on one end have USB and the other both in & out MIDI 5 pin DIN. It's really a question of what would be better from the computer side, USB or MIDI 5 pin DIN. The computer's USB is 2.0 if that makes a difference as opposed to 1.1.

Ok I misunderstood your first post. I'm not going to tell you either way, because I know that usb is relatively slow, but am not sure if it matters in midi or not. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Luck.
James

Will do. I'm also one of those who like to know why as well rather than just accepting something blindly. Trying to make it a learning experience.

Because standard midi is a bsic part of setting up your interface.

There can be driver complications when configuring a MIDI to USB arrangement.

Will do. I'm also one of those who like to know why as well rather than just accepting something blindly. Trying to make it a learning experience.

Because standard midi is a basic part of setting up your interface.

But I'm willing to be corrected.

I use both. I have one keyboard that connects via interface with DIN to DIN, and another that connects from keyboard USB to PC USB. I didn't have to set up the first, but I did have to set up the second (but relatively smoothly).

That's what I was kind of guessing and also is the reason I was thinking that DIN to DIN was the better choice. Being a MIDI noob I thought it smarter to ask first. If I had to go it alone (THANKS HR.com & gecko zzed) I would have went DIN to DIN but only because it seemed logical, not knowing any better.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions about MIDI as I go. For example, I assume that I can use the keyboard to control drum software in the PC. From what I have read so far, this would be just a very small part of what possible.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions about MIDI as I go. For example, I assume that I can use the keyboard to control drum software in the PC. From what I have read so far, this would be just a very small part of what possible.

Yes.

You can create drum loops within the PC using a midi editor of some sort, or you can play drums in real time using your keyboard as the kit (each key being a different part of the kit).

Because standard midi is a basic part of setting up your interface.

But I'm willing to be corrected.

I use both. I have one keyboard that connects via interface with DIN to DIN, and another that connects from keyboard USB to PC USB. I didn't have to set up the first, but I did have to set up the second (but relatively smoothly).

Was easy for me, went drum USB to PC USB, no problem... however, and I'm sure youve noticed Gecko, the rest has been an uphill struggle for me! But I did finally master the techinque that altidude and you helped me with!
James

Back