Which synth/module should I buy?

louloomis

Hi. I'm looking to add a keyboard or a rack module (preferable) to my setup.

Right now I have a Roland Juno 106 which I really love. I would like to add
an inexpensive unit which has excellent strings/pads (like a mellotron type
thing - the closest I can get), realistic drum sounds, and some classic
keyboard sounds (B-3, grand piano, etc.).

I've checked out a bunch of stuff (too much to list here) and I'm not too
impressed overall. One thing I've been recommended is the Roland JV series
stuff, but I didn't really like it much.

Can someone recommend some synth or rack unit (preferable), or am I just out
of my mind here.

I don't want to spend more than $300.00.

Thanks.

louloomis said:
or am I just out of my mind here.
You're not necessarily out of your mind, but you are asking for an awful lot for your $300.

Excellent string pads, realistic drum sounds and B-3 and grand piano sounds may be found on three separate modules but expecting to find them all together is a stretch. The one thing that you might consider is a Kurzweil - one of the newer ones - but they don't come cheap. Or get a sampler and some CD's with the sounds you are looking for.

Did you listen to the Roland JV with the expansion boards, or just a stock model? You might want to listen to a Roland with "Keyboard's of the 60's and 70's" expansion. That will give you the B3's and I think there are some Mellotron's in there. You can get the strings and piano from other expansion boards.

However, as ssscientist said, you are expecting an awful lot from $300.

I've been recommended the Kurzweil stuff, albeit the 1000 series rack stuff. But, I don't think the 1000PX for example has the sounds I want without the full array of expansion blocks. I'm not sure on that one.

As far as checking out the JV stuff, I don't think it had those expansion boards in it. I just remember the onboard piano sounds being a real disappointment...

How does the newer Kurzweil keyboard stuff compare with the older series stuff (I know there are a few). In particular, I saw a newer Kurzweil for around 600 bucks. I was wondering if that's a good keyboard or not.

Thanks,
LL

Which Kurzweil for $600?

I used to own a bunch of those old 1000 series modules, seven in fact. They were great for their time, and actually they still hold up pretty well now. I still have my PX1000, which I long ago upgraded to a PRO-1 with full chip upgrade. I think it's fair to say you'll probably not find that chip upgrade set very easily these days if at all.

If you look for the old 1000 series modules, probably the one to hunt for would be the PRO-1. The piano was famous and is still pretty good. The choir is outstanding and some of the strings are good too. As far as the organ, there are some organ waves in there, but I don't think of it as being a big organ module.

A good B3 module is the Proteus 2000 B3 module. Or, if you can find the Emu B3 expansion board for the P2k series. You might be able to find Kurzweil PX1000 for cheap and also get an Emu B3. That would cover things pretty well. Although, a Roland JV or XV module with expansion boards would be good too. But again, it's going to be really tough to find all this for $500-600.

What about some second hand E-MU modules? Proteus 2000? These seem to be going fairly cheaply on Ebay...

Hi. I've always been interested in E-mu stuff, but I've never checked one out. How are the sounds. Is it a bad idea to get the Proteus 1? It's pretty cheap....but does it sound really bad. The units you mentioned are as expensive as some of the Roland gear.

LL

louloomis said:
Hi. I've always been interested in E-mu stuff, but I've never checked one out. How are the sounds. Is it a bad idea to get the Proteus 1? It's pretty cheap....but does it sound really bad. The units you mentioned are as expensive as some of the Roland gear.

LL

The thing about the E-Mu Proteus modules is you can add ROM's that have a boatload of extra sounds, within specialized areas -- world music, techno, classical, etc... They aren't cheap, but could be added later.

The thing is, if you read people's reviews, (on SONICSTATE.COM) you'll get opinions across the board. But check 'em out. There are some other, professional reviews on the Proteus around I'm sure.

The Alesis NanoSynth can be had very cheap, but I don't know how it sounds, and I don't believe it's tweakable.

For $400.00 you can get a new Alesis Micron. I love mine.

louloomis said:
Hi. I'm looking to add a keyboard or a rack module (preferable) to my setup. I don't want to spend more than $300.00.
Thanks.

Although less known out of Europe, Quasimidi Quasar has everything you need and much, much more.

Many people mistake (over 1000 sounds) his usage strictly for Techno and such, while truth be told he has all sounds you need. Great Acoustic samples, pads and sytnhs to give headache in choosing which one to play for days. (PCM,FM, subtractive, and additive synthesis)

Even GM is not a stranger here ;)

In 2005, I think it is possible to find Quasar in your budget district.

Back