Which Studio Monitors, Mics & Headphones To Use?

Blackwiz

In the future(hopefully near future), I plan on getting a Roland VS-2000CD or Korg 32 track workstation.

What studio pair monitors, a set of headphones condenser mics should I get that aren't so expensive, but at the same time, great quality?? If you can, direct me to the link where I can buy them at.

Thanks

OneL

Use the search function. And I have a feeling this is a joke as it's pretty stereotypical - from the name down to hte post.

don't jump in to anything to much it will only frustrate you...i think what you should do is reaserch what people like (not what to get) and then find the price range and fq range and what would you be mixing as well ?

Blackwiz said:
In the future(hopefully near future), I plan on getting a Roland VS-2000CD or Korg 32 track workstation.

What studio pair monitors, a set of headphones condenser mics should I get that aren't so expensive, but at the same time, great quality?? If you can, direct me to the link where I can buy them at.

Thanks

OneL

What's your price range? For headphones AKG 240's are kind of a standard for about a hundred bucks. Mics and headphones - tough to say without knowing your budget.

I dont know. I figure my price range for maybe Studio monitors, a mic and headphones...total to iono..$500 to maybe $600.

Last edited:
Headphone are not that important for tracking IMO.. So I;ll go with the Audio Technica ATH M30. For the price-they you get good results.. When I first got them, they were $70 now you can get them for.. http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp?ProductCode=11417&Category=Monitoring

Also, for a great mic at a low price.. I would say the Shure SM7.. Costing between $300 and $350.. http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=7308&Category=Microphones

And for speakers I would have to give too thumps up for the Blue Sky Media Desk. They sound amazing for the price range. You get a subwoofer and dual monitors for $500. I use a pair with the Event Precisions.. Both fantasic sounding monitors for the price.. http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...2.1-Desktop-Monitor-System?full_sku=102805439

Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATH-M30-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM7B-Microphone-with-Switchable-Response?sku=270247

What about the monitors that you speak of? Will I have to cop out atleast $500 alone on a pair of studio monitors to get something that decent?

i have the m-audio bxa8's and i am in love...they are $500 wihout tax but dam i wont make a change for awhile...i think there better then my friends rokit 8s...but then again they are pretty much in the same price range give or take

Blackwiz said:
I dont know. I figure my price range for maybe Studio monitors, a mic and headphones...total to iono..$500 to maybe $600.

If I were you I would put the money into great pair of headphones and get a pair of monitors later. You cant afford a decent pair of monitors on that budget. Then with the money left over buy a mic. You can buy a good set of headphones for mixing/tracking that would do you better than a cheap pair of monitors that you will hate later.

Blackwiz said:

Yeah, that is not a lot of money.

Personally I would suggest:

Headphones: http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

Condensor mic? Really nothing 'great' in that price range... Great bang for the buck? Try a Studio Projects B1 or C1 or C3 depending on budget.

Alternate mic I would think about getting an Shure SM57 or a Shure SM7. I think that the SM7 is a GREAT mic and it can be had for about $300 used.

Monitors? I think used NS10's or Event 20/20's in the $500-$700 range are what you will want to eventually have, until then, just to get you started, pick up some nice two way bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and a 3-4" tweeter... I am a fan of JBL bookshelfs myself. Shoot, you could even use some average computer speakers to get started.

Hope this helps.

Okay, then disregard my price limit.

What studio monitors, headphones and condenser mics are you guys suggesting, not paying attention to my price range?

Blackwiz said:
Okay, then disregard my price limit.

What studio monitors, headphones and condenser mics are you guys suggesting, not paying attention to my price range?

Blackwiz, it´s worthless name gear that you just can´t buy... What´s the point to name mics or monitors that cost 25,000 bucks..?

I see good advice on this thread... Maybe a SM57 and a SM7 (not condensers), even a naiant!

Anyway, use the search function and you´ll find tons of good advice and reviews from users... Enjoy the ride! :D

Well, I wasn't expecting anyone to post items that cost $25,000. I figured people would realize not to go way out of my price range.

OK, so based on the equipment that I personally use and like.

Monitors: Yamaha NS10's AND set of JBL bookshelf speakers (I A/B between them.)

Headphones: Moreme

Condenser Mic: AKG 414

For me, these are all great. The only thing I would add in there is that I still think you should pick up a Shure SM7.

All that stuff plus an amp for the monitors should run you about $2000.

My advise would not be to go the headphone route, but to buy whatever studio monitors you can afford. Mixing with headphones is not really recommended. Trying to get your mixes to translate through a set of headphones is really difficult to do. So if I had a limited budget, I would invest in near field studio monitors something along the line of M-Audio BX5a or Bx8a or KRK's or Mackies depending on how much you want to spend. I personally use Blue Sky System One monitors with Blue Sky SUB, not the same as the Blue Sky media Desk mentioned before. My monitors with sub cost me around $1500, but they are outstanding. I haven't personally listened to the Blue Sky Media Desk but I know they make really good stuff so they are worth a listen as well. As for decent low cost condenser microphones I would look at Studio Projects and Marshall mics. Hope this helps.

radioshack computer speakers, $15
ipod earbuds- free if you steal them from someone on the street.
got a car speaker? reverse the wires and scream into it at the top of your lungs. continue doing so until men in white suits come and help you. then you will get great recordings.

deposit the other $485 into my paypal account.

Blackwiz- You'll quickly find that this messageboard/bbs is filled with a lot of sarcasm, and little patience for "n00bs" who ask questions before searching out the answers themselves! Don't let our initial reaction scare you away: this board has tons and tons of the best advice out there for beginners to pros! It has been around for a long time: look at it more like a "wikipedia for home recording" than a messageboard and you'll do well. Look at it as a chatroom for quick advice and you'll be beat in the sack with sarcasm and dirty looks :p

That said, I'll give you some freebie advice that I've amassed from various snippets of the hundreds of good (and bad) threads I've read on the HRBBS.

Disclaimer: This is advice from my own experience, and thus isn't guaranteed to be the best way or the right way to do things. But it worked for me!

Step one, you need a specific goal in mind. Do you want to record one instrument at a time or multiple instruments? Is this for yourself/your band or are you recording other people? What kind of facility do you have? Etc.

Step two, you need a specific budget. There will never be a budget so high it can not be filled with useful gear: similarly, there's so much used gear out there you can start recording yourself for around $30! With a specific budget, you can start prioritizing gear by need: you don't need a $400 pre-amp if you have a no-name omnidirectional mic and a four-track. On the other hand, you won't want a crappy no-name mic if you're gonna be recording a full band! The range is near-infinite: give yourself something to work with, with your specific goal in mind.

Step three, READ READ READ!! Read reviews, forum posts, articles, messageboards, magazines, books, etc. etc. Don't go into this blindly, and don't disregard this step. You can skip ahead so far by just reading the amazing advice out there and applying it to your mixes. You'll also find multiple reviews of hundreds, thousands of pieces of gear! Google is your friend.

Step four, ask questions. (Notice this isn't step one :) ) Many of us are more than welcome to answer questions like "Would (gear list) be good to (goal) with (budget)?" vs. "I'm a noob, what should I get?"

Once you've spent a couple of weeks (yes weeks, not hours) researching the best products, practices, and advice you can get, THEN start buying gear and messing with it. You'll find you have a whole range of questions after the fact, but at least you'll skip over things like "what's an XLR cable?" :)

Good luck! And stick with us :)

you can say that again!

steve.h said:
Step one, you need a specific goal in mind. Do you want to record one instrument at a time or multiple instruments? Is this for yourself/your band or are you recording other people? What kind of facility do you have? Etc.

Step two, you need a specific budget. There will never be a budget so high it can not be filled with useful gear: similarly, there's so much used gear out there you can start recording yourself for around $30! With a specific budget, you can start prioritizing gear by need: you don't need a $400 pre-amp if you have a no-name omnidirectional mic and a four-track. On the other hand, you won't want a crappy no-name mic if you're gonna be recording a full band! The range is near-infinite: give yourself something to work with, with your specific goal in mind.

Step three, READ READ READ!! Read reviews, forum posts, articles, messageboards, magazines, books, etc. etc. Don't go into this blindly, and don't disregard this step. You can skip ahead so far by just reading the amazing advice out there and applying it to your mixes. You'll also find multiple reviews of hundreds, thousands of pieces of gear! Google is your friend.

Step four, ask questions. (Notice this isn't step one :) ) Many of us are more than welcome to answer questions like "Would (gear list) be good to (goal) with (budget)?" vs. "I'm a noob, what should I get?"

Good luck! And stick with us :)

Well said. i need to remind myself of these things from time to time!

Back