Which sound card do you prefer with n-Track?

Arranger

I've been waiting to buy a sound card until I narrow my software down. I'm now fairly heart-set on n-Track and would like to choose a card that is going to take full advantage of it.

I'll be multitracking primarily, not likely more than 4 tracks simultaneously for the first year or so, but perhaps as many as 8 ultimately.

I'm a MIDIot for the moment, but will connect my Motif workstation and begin using MIDI when the equipment comes together. I'm basically an analog 'in' musician playing songs that run 2 to 8 minutes long with about 6 to 10 total tracks per song.

My DAW includes:
ASUS P4PE mobo, USB 2.0,Firewire,S/PDIF capable
533mHz FSB
P4 2.4GHz/512k cache
512kb DDR2700 memory
Matrox G550 AGP video card
80GB Maxtor 7200rpm drive
Yamaha CRW-F1 burner w/Nero Burning ROM
Antec True330w power supply
WinXPpro

What would you suggest as an ideal sound card that will configure easily and seamlessly with n-Track?

Thanks for your advice.

Most soundcards work with n-Track.

Lots of n-Track users around here use m-Audio products, like the Audiophile and Delta line. What soundcard you choose will really depend on your needs. While I can certainly recommend the Delta 1010 to do everything you need, it runs at about $600 and has 8 ins & outs + spdif + word clock + MIDI. If that's too much, then there is the Audiophile which has 2 ins & outs + spdif + MIDI and runs at about $150.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks, Slackmaster

I had a feeling the Audiophile would suit my needs. I'm importing 24bit/44.1 .wav files from my Tascam 788 and want to process in n-Track and output for PC monitoring.

Sounds like the program would work well in this arrangement.

So, Bozeman, by the way? My mom and grandparents are from Sheridan, Wyo. and I was born there. Stuck in the east now. Nice to meet you. I saw a program the other day about a supervolcano under Yellowstone that's due to explode at any point in the next 200,000 years and wipe out four or five states. Ready to move to Jersey? :)

When the ice caps melt you'll have to grow gills...I'll take my chances with the super volcano!!! :)

I've been through sheridan a few times...although I don't remember it much as all these montana/wyoming/dakota places kind of look the same after a while!

Slackmaster 2000

M-audio Revolution

Hello,

Anyone have an opinion about using the new M-audio Revolution card with N-track? I've recently gotten going with doing some music recording on my home computer with N-track. I have built-in audio and am looking to upgrade. Looks like I could get a SB Live card for ~$30, an M-audio Revolution for ~$100, and an M-audio audiophile for ~$150. I plan to record probably no more than 2 or 3 tracks at a time. I would like to be able to do some midi stuff, but that's all new to me. I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions/comments.

Regards,

Kevin

Although I no longer track with n-Track,for several years I had great success using it with a c-port from STAudio.
8 channels of unbalanced 1/4" line in (1 and 2 ganged with balanced XLR inputs with so-so built in mic pres,plus stereo S/PDIF for a total of 10X10 full duplex operation at up to 24 bit/96k.Breakout box separates the converters from the PC so its slightly quieter than otherwise.The unit can be used for direct monitoring by hardware (no latency) of the inputs.Street price is about $400.here's a link...
http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp2000/index.html

I've been using an Event Gina (2 IN X 8 OUT) which works great, although with software getting better and mixing taking place in the digital domain, there's really no need for the multiple outputs. In the early days of Cakewalk's audio support, it was great to be able to control mixes with a physical board, but I'm finding that drawing envelopes in n-Track makes all that go away.

Back