• Logic audio

Votes: 191 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuendo nuendo nuendo
i use it with a 500mghz CELERON
and 192MB ram

and i used all dem otha software and their to much 4 me. Nuendo hardly crashes and u can track, edit, and master in the same screen without using other programs plus its compatible with vst instruments vst plugins and dx plugins and u cant beat that.

I just saw the latest version of Digital Performer.
I'm very impressed!

I'm not a mac user and I hate macs, but geez, it's worth the pain to use Digital Performer and all the new stuff that comes with it.

Senor Cactus

You are so correct!! DP 3.0 is just amazing . . . can't wait to get my copy! However, MAC is the platform of choice for MOTU's software and I don't see that changing any time soon! So, if you want to be a MOTU head, go buy yourself a MAC and rock on!

Albert

I first got into CEP and computer recording a little over a year ago and I love CEP...but I don't do MIDI, and I don't do synths, and I don't do drum tracks. For acoustic music, it's terrific, with lots of useful editing features & more tracks than I'll probably ever use. It is what my multitrack tape decks SHOULD have been.

I use CEP and logic...Which program out there has a simular layout to Logic? I'm keen to try another one..I have a demo of fruity loops but I'm not comfortable with it.

An eye-opener for me, this thread.

* Loads of people use Cool Edit Pro, but nobody's planning to move in that direction if they're not there already. Draw your own conclusions. The ones I've drawn are not all negative.

* Loads of people use one prog for tracking, and another for editing. Cool Edit and Nuendo users tend to be the only 'one prog for both tracking and editing' users.

* The most satisfied users seem to be Vegas users. Samplitude and Nuendo sound good too.

Question: oneArtist says Samplitude burns better sounding CDs than Adaptec! Huh? A wav file's a wav file, no? Why would the software for arranging CD burns have any effect on sound quality? You're making me nervous... :D Maybe we should start a new thread with this one.

ps I use Cool Edit Pro for tracking and editing because my stuff's so simple, but the lack of real-time processing in CEP makes it cumbersome.

Dobro, I think you're right. There are lots of us around who are not into techno or electronic music who still need a robust and good sounding recording program. I got my first computer a year ago May, and I frankly didn't need something with lots of complications. I ordinarily record acoustic guitar, harmonica, vocals, Dobro (!) and acoustic slide guitar with occasional bass overdubbing and Cool Edit Pro does the job. I communicate with people who do much more complex recording projects, but everyone seems to agree that CEP works.
One key for us relative beginners (I did analog recording for years before I decided on my current rig), of course, is to find one
program or format to use and then learn thoroughly how to use it. A well understood mediocre program will give you better results than a fancy one you can't figure out. Every software system I looked at had pros and cons but CEP had the features I wanted and didn't have a lot of features I didn't want.
I record using Audio-Technica 4033s and Shure SM81s into (up until now) an Alesis Studio 12R and BBE 462 through a Lexicon Core 2 card. I recently bought a Tascam TM D-1000 digital mixer (the prices they are going for is ridiculously low, and I love getting new gear for cheap prices) which has not yet been integrated into my setup. I have a TDIF-ADAT lightpipe adapter on order, since my Core 2 has optical ADAT ins (that'll be the cat's eyebrows, having 8 digital ins & outs). It's not state-of-the-art, but then neither am I nor is my music.
J

E-MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!

I chose E-magic's Logic Audio Platinum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I am THAT GUY.... the one that will not stop until there is a forum added to this site dedicated to E-magic software.

Earlier this week I bought a copy of FUTURE MUSIC, which is a British Magazine, (I live in Europe by the way) and saw that it had HOMERECORDING.COM writen in the anbswer to a reader's question; "Where can I learn more about music on the internet?" Answer: "WWW.HOMERECORDING.COM!!!!!!" I was so happy.

And in the very next issue that came out a few days ago there is a section on the top 40 best softwares to use in home/pro recording studios. It was devided up into several catagories... i.e. Soft-Synths, Drum/Rythm Generators, Wave Editors, and so on and so on. Well E-magic consistently blew the rest away. Number ONE in most catagories, number 2 in some, but ALWAYS higher than the companies listed here.

I realize that Cakewalk and crew might be "easier" to set up and, as the name suggests, is a Cakewalk to use, and I have never in my life set eyes on a Cakewalk screen-set, so I am not at all speaking from experience nor even actually making a comparison between the different programs. I just know that E-magic seems to be a seriously powerful and highly recomended program, and it is just a pitty that there is no forum for it on the same website that is promoted by a top-notch magazine that also suggests E-MAGIC products.

So please do not attack me or my OPINION. Just hopefully you all can see my point.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get started... I honestly owe 85% of all the knowledge I have about computer based digital workstations from you guys and this site. :)

Mike

MAGIC!!!!!

I chose E-magic's Logic Audio Platinum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I am THAT GUY.... the one that will not stop until there is a forum added to this site dedicated to E-magic software.

Earlier this week I bought a copy of FUTURE MUSIC, which is a British Magazine, (I live in Europe by the way) and saw that it had HOMERECORDING.COM writen in the anbswer to a reader's question; "Where can I learn more about music on the internet?" Answer: "WWW.HOMERECORDING.COM!!!!!!" I was so happy.

And in the very next issue that came out a few days ago there is a section on the top 40 best softwares to use in home/pro recording studios. It was devided up into several catagories... i.e. Soft-Synths, Drum/Rythm Generators, Wave Editors, and so on and so on. Well E-magic consistently blew the rest away. Number ONE in most catagories, number 2 in some, but ALWAYS higher than the companies listed here.

I realize that Cakewalk and crew might be "easier" to set up and, as the name suggests, is a Cakewalk to use, and I have never in my life set eyes on a Cakewalk screen-set, so I am not at all speaking from experience nor even actually making a comparison between the different programs. I just know that E-magic seems to be a seriously powerful and highly recomended program, and it is just a pitty that there is no forum for it on the same website that is promoted by a top-notch magazine that also suggests E-MAGIC products.

So please do not attack me or my OPINION. Just hopefully you all can see my point.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get started... I honestly owe 85% of all the knowledge I have about computer based digital workstations from you guys and this site. :)

Mike

Does anyone have problem with ASIO drivers using logic...
I've got 4.6.1 It doesn't want to function using ASIO
but it will work fine using MME drivers:(...
My asio drivers seem fine though!!

I've made some money on one of my 12" records, so I just purchased Sonar and Acid 3.0.

So now I'm using

Sonar/Cakewalk 9

Vegas Audio 2.0

Acid 3.0

Sound Forge 4.5

But...I am starting to lean toward the Sonic Foundry set-up.

Vegas 2.0/Acid 3.0/ Sound Forge 5.0 ;)

the sonic foundry stuff is cool, but sonar has live input monitoring and does a lot of what the sonic foundry stuff can do.

I started with N-Track. I couldn't resolve ASIO problems so I installed Cubase 5. The ASIO problems in N-Track went away once Cubase was installed.

I got tired of Cubase crashing all the time so I bought Logic Audio Platinum. Even though the learning curve for logic was steep for me (tried to get my MotorMix hooked up the first day) I am hooked. It doesn't even crash on my VIA Chipset motherboard.

Sometimes Logic gets confusing, but that is because it is so powerful.

All of these programs are much easier to work with if you have more display resolution. I just upgraded to a Silicon Graphics wide screen LCD and there is no going back. I'd like to add another one, but better mics are in order first :-)

What's so bad about Cubase?
I'm not suggesting there aren't better options out there (there may well be) however, Cubase is IMO the easiest way to record digital audio... you record it directly into your mix- "bang".
Then you can use another program to edit it etc.
I've never had any problems with it.

I realize that this thread has been worked to death by this time but I couldn't refuse adding my two cents.

First, my system is Win98, CUSL2 board Intel chipset, PIII 800, 384MgB RAM.

I am a pretty experienced computer user, 8+ years. I just got into computer based recording and decided to start my experience with Cubase VST 3.7. I have a Windoz system and I at first did not like the unWindows style interface. I found it very uninuitive but with all of the features I gave it a go. My results were next to horrendous. I couldn't stop the program from crashing or picking up pops and clicks from my acoustic instruments. I got so fed up with it and the lack of support from Steinberg that I gave up on it. Not to mention the number of slams that I read on their forum.

I switched to Cakewalk8... I really liked the interface much better, more windows like. However, I still have way too many stability problems with application. It has really lousy playback that often skips. Something I did like about Cubase that I do not like about Cakewalk is that it would save my files in native .wav format. Cakewalk needs to be exported which came back to bite me when I found I needed to reinstall the program due to some application conflict and the reinstall would not read previous recordings I had done. I lost alot of work needless to say.

I am now looking into another editor... I have had recommendations from friends who like CoolEdit Pro for doing acoustic istruments. Supposedly it is very stable for this type of recording. However, I am looking for MIDI capability and a nice effects package.

My recommendation... Don't mess with Cubase or Cakewalk. Especially if you are coming from good 'ol tape recording. The stability of these programs can make your recording dream into a digital nightmare.

This is pretty interesting news to me...
Obviously you're having these problems- but why?
Do you run other programs on your computer? Do you have a specified HD solely for the digital audio?
If not perhaps your particular version of VST3.7 had some bad bugs.

I know a guy who produces entire albums using a turtle beach soundcard hooked up to a P200MMX with only 64Meg RAM, some synths, a DAT recorder, and cubase VST3.7 II, soundforge, and some other software such as recycle etc.
You can check out his stuff at Nine09 records:
nine09.net

www.jasefromouttaspace.com

Provided it is used properly- VST3.7 II (by that I mean it was the second release) will work fine.

If anyone has a copy- don't rush out to buy expensive new software until you try running it with a music-ONLY PC (with say, a 7200rpm HD for audio ONLY).

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back