Which software for home videos ??

scotia80

Hi guys and gals im new to this site but been recording for about the last 9 years, Im now looking to make some videos nothing Speilberg i might add Im just looking for a good program that I can make maybe 3 or 4 full real time (miming)video clips to go along with the audio track (vocals, guitar, drums) and switch between the clips when making the final edit and of course syncing at the start. Keep in mind ive never done this before and havn't got the best of computers.

Thanks
Scott

I've got to say.
Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7 is pretty cool.

It's really weird on my vista computers though.

I think most inexpensive video editors are limited with the number of separate video tracks you can have - usually you have to insert the clip, trim it, insert the next one, trim it, etc. Seriph MoviePlus is pretty easy to use.

try Reaper for high quality audio-video sync

I highly recommend Reaper v4.1x for synchronizing high quality audio recordings with video from any source. Just make sure you record the audio in 16bit/48khz and it will sync nicely with video using any of a number of video formats.

There are some good online tutorials by Fran Guidry showing how easy this process is with Reaper. Record the audio and video at the same time (record audio in Reaper, record video with a video camera device), making sure to clap somewhere in the recording to have a sync point that is highly visible in the recorded audio and video tracks. Then drag the video file from file explorer onto a track in Reaper alongside the audio track you just recorded, line up the clap spikes in both tracks, turn down the video volume so that only the audio track is heard, and render it to AVI or MOV or whatever.

This process is so simple that it is a no-brainer to do it this way, especially if you already use Reaper for recording audio. Once the recording is complete and the video file is dragged into Reaper, the sync takes only a few seconds. With Reaper you can easily zoom in on the clap spike and align the spikes perfectly in both audio and video tracks.

Thanks for the replys guys, ive tried windows movie maker and found it too basic even though im new to this, GEHAUSER thanks very much for your help the clap thing is something I would never have thought of, the only thing is I use a seperate digital 32 track for all my recordings and don't use the computer at all, Im guessing syncing at the start would be my biggest stumbling block as I mimed along for my first attempts, would you still advise using reaper ??

Easy no-brainer: Sony Vegas Studio

$50 or less on sale.

It's the Reaper of video editors.

Sorry Tim never seen your reply when I was typing mine, as Ive sayed I record my audio on a seperate studio and dont use computer at all so would be importing the audio and probably miming the music for the early attempts to get used to it would u still advise the Sony ??

Thanks for the replys guys, ive tried windows movie maker and found it too basic even though im new to this, GEHAUSER thanks very much for your help the clap thing is something I would never have thought of, the only thing is I use a seperate digital 32 track for all my recordings and don't use the computer at all, Im guessing syncing at the start would be my biggest stumbling block as I mimed along for my first attempts, would you still advise using reaper ??

So you mix on your standalone recorder? In that case I would take the final mix (the stereo mixdown), and export it as a WAV to your computer. Then drag the audio WAV and the video file into Reaper for the sync process.

If you have not used Reaper before you would have a little learning curve, but dragging files onto it and aligning them temporally is very easy (intuitive drag-drop stuff). Zoom with the mousewheel. Once zoomed, you can right-click a track and use "Nudge" to move it right or left a few milliseconds to align the clap spikes perfectly.

Might be worth you learning Reaper anyway, as you could do your mastering there after you do the mix on your standalone.

...I record my audio on a seperate studio and dont use computer at all so would be importing the audio and probably miming the music for the early attempts to get used to it would u still advise the Sony ??

Wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.
I've done the same thing.

Back