Which small diaphram condencers?

benherron.rrr

A pair of Rode NT5's

A pair Se electronics SE1's

A pair of Avantone CK1's

The NT5's and SE1's are about the same price have some solid reviews, if choosing out of eaither I would probably pick the NT5's as they seem to come of a little better.

The Avantone CK1's are the choice I want to make, because A, they look awsome B the others are cardioid where as the CK1's come with omni and figure 8 capsules C, they have a filter and -10dp pad built in which the others don't. But no body seems to know anything about these mics and there are no reviews around. Although my heart is drawing me to these mics I dont want to make a mistake.

But no body seems to know anything about these mics and there are no reviews around.
I've been doing a bit of searching for mics, recently and keep running across the Avantone brand but I found myself in the same boat as you do.
Can't seem to find any reviews and yet they price and advertise as though they've been around for a long time.
Anyone?

The only Avatone that I've heard a sample of is the CK-40 and it wasn't bad.

+1 use your ears. If the manufacturer can't even be bothered to post a sample, what are they hiding?

+1 MK-012. And you get a bunch of caps.

Hopefully you'll never need the -10dB pad. IMO about all it does is raise the noise floor if you don't actually need it. If you do need it, then you probably need better preamps more IMO.

I've always wanted to give NT5's or MK-012's a try, but my STO-2's seem to do most of what I need done. If it weren't for the hideously high noise floor I probably wouldn't even be on the lookout for other mics.

EDIT: there's also busman BSC1's.

What's wrong with a pair of Oktava MK-012 ?

Just to throw those into the mix.

I havn't seen any of the Oktava stuff, Just had a little look earlier, but I havn't been able to find any resellers in the UK.

I've been doing a bit of searching for mics, recently and keep running across the Avantone brand but I found myself in the same boat as you do.
Can't seem to find any reviews and yet they price and advertise as though they've been around for a long time.
Anyone?

I have seen a review that has a direct link from their website, but it isn'nt from a source I have seen before so I dont know how much I can trust it. Alot of posts from verious forums I have searched seem not to reveal a bad word about them though. From quotes from their website, it looks like they are recommended by quite a few good producers. But you cant really trust sources direct fromt he companys website.

I am really tempted by these mics. I was talking to a guy from my local who told me that he hasn't had any personal experience with them and they dont stock them but do have a relationship with a UK distributor. Also that if I order them I will have a 28day money back guarentee so if Im not happy with them I can return them without loss. worth the time?

My feeling is that they are as good as any other company in their price range, just waiting to get their share.
Of course, someone already pointed out that you don't make a purchase based on feelings.
Well, not entirely.

A pair of Rode NT5's

A pair Se electronics SE1's

A pair of Avantone CK1's

The NT5's and SE1's are about the same price have some solid reviews, if choosing out of eaither I would probably pick the NT5's as they seem to come of a little better.

The Avantone CK1's are the choice I want to make, because A, they look awsome B the others are cardioid where as the CK1's come with omni and figure 8 capsules C, they have a filter and -10dp pad built in which the others don't. But no body seems to know anything about these mics and there are no reviews around. Although my heart is drawing me to these mics I dont want to make a mistake.

Out of your list, I would probably go with the NT5s because they have the Rode 10 yr warranty and they sounded pretty sweet in this SDC shootout:

Flatpicking Guitar Magazine: Articles: Small-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Comparison

In that same price range, I have heard good things about M-Audio Pulsar II and the Line Audio CM3.

The basic Oktava 012 set doesn't come with the additional capsules, you have to choose the "upgraded" set and pay the $$$. That said, they're a fine mic especially on o/heads.........a little dark on acoustic gtr for my taste.

If you're looking at the Rodes, then you should definitely be considering Studio Projects C4's which do come with alternate capsules ;)

:cool:

I have used the NT5s for 7-8 years and love them. They are great for stereo guitar and drum overheads. Possibly a little bright if anything. But I roll a lot of the top end to make the guitar sound right. Great mics!

Back