Which should come first.. Mackie MR5mkII or Yamaha HS80M?

stratmaster713

I originally was set on purchasing the Yamaha HS80M pair of monitors, but these Mackie MR5mkII's are getting too good of reviews to ignore. Either way, in the long run I would like to have 2 monitors as references, a larger one and a smaller one from different brands. I'm just confused now which I should purchase first. Money is not a concern other than the fact I can only afford 1 pair for now.

EDIT: I'm going to back up a bit and explain my thought process on this.. An online website has an offer right now where they include free monitor stands [on-stage stands] as well as auralex pads for free. Should monitors be on a desk, stands, or does it not matter as long as their on the foam isolators? This offer makes me want to buy the HS80M's first..

** Am I thinking about this the wrong way in general? I was thinking of having HS80M's as my main monitors, and using a cheaper one [mackie MR5mkII] and/or a cheap hi-fi stereo as secondary speakers to test mixes on.
**I am in college, and my recording space is definitely NOT ideal, or treated. I am looking in the long term here, I dont like buying crap gear that I wont use for more than atleast a few years.

If anyone has any opinions or suggestions, I would love to hear some. Thanks!

MR8mk2-3qrt-Right-lr.jpg

750-HS80M_img_3qtr.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I have only heard good things about the HS80M. If all goes according to plan, those are my next monitors. For reference though, I would get something more consumer grade. I have an old Kenwood stereo by my desk that I use to check mixes. Plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 2 sets of monitors.

Drew

Yeah I want a second set of cheapies. I'm thinking AV40s. Ive got krk rokit 6s. Im trying to decide if the second set should be more expensive/ better(maybe hs80m's?) or something like the maudios.
Oh and Then I can get a mackie big knob :D. And look cool. That's all that matters.

I would say go for what your "mains" will be first. Have all the time you can on them.

well what i'm afraid of i guess is buying the HS80M's and them being far too huge for my college apt [where i will be for the next year]

anyone else??

My room has a length of 9ft and a width of 8ft and my HS80m looks BIG in the small room BUT I'm really happy with it. ;)

Back