Which SDCs to keep? Rode NT5s or Oktava MC-012s?

policenauts03

Hey all, I've had a pair of Oktava MC-012s sitting in my mic locker now for quite awhile now that I haven't gotten a chance to use on OHs yet (haven't had the opportunity to record drums for a while) and tonight I luckily found a great deal on a pair of Rode NT5s. I believe both are matched pairs, but I don't really have a way to test them out right now (no drumset or acoustic guitar at the moment). I know the Rodes are worth a little more, but if it were up to you, which would you sell and why? Thanks a lot!

policenauts03 said:
Hey all, I've had a pair of Oktava MC-012s sitting in my mic locker now for quite awhile now that I haven't gotten a chance to use on OHs yet (haven't had the opportunity to record drums for a while) and tonight I luckily found a great deal on a pair of Rode NT5s. I believe both are matched pairs, but I don't really have a way to test them out right now (no drumset or acoustic guitar at the moment). I know the Rodes are worth a little more, but if it were up to you, which would you sell and why? Thanks a lot!

I would keep both, because I rarely sell music equipment. However, if you must sell one, sell the ones that you like the least. Keep the ones that work the best for your applications. Alot of this stuff is personal preference and what works best for you in your studio with the style of music you record may not work for others.

I have a pair of both. If I had to give up a pair, it would be the Rodes. Why? I have the full capsule set for the Oktavas, as well as the attenuation pads. The Oktavas DO have that upgradability, where the Rodes do not.

I've used NT5s on OH and found them pretty underwhelming. There wasn't anything really wrong with them as such, they worked and could certainly be coaxed into a decent sound, but they certainly didn't blow me away. I've not used the Oktavas, but if you have a GOOD pair, they're probably the stronger of the two sets. For drums in particular, if you have a less than perfect room the Oktavas might flatter you a little with their damping of the higher frequencies.

Do some simple A/B-ing. Get one of each pointing at your acoustic and record them, and give them a listen. Do the same with one of each over the middle of your drumkit. Tell us how you find them!

Back