Which SDC for Jazz Recording?

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
Hi there --

What SDC would you guys recommend to record saxophone?

Why an SDC? I am traveling a lot and would like to have a mobile rig (using my MacBook Pro and an M-Audio MobilePre) to overdub my saxophone solo over existing recording. I don't want to take my preferred ribbon mic (too fragile to travel) and my external pre needed for the ribbon because that setup would be too bulky. So I thought an SDC doesn't need an extra pre (I can use the MobilePre) and SDCs are sturdier than LDCs for a mobile rig.

Pricewise, I can spend a few hundred bucks if needed.

It's not expensive, but this puppy performs.

Try the Naiants X-S. It's ridiculously inexpensive and it's an electrolet condenser that requires very little power. It's as tiny as can be, but tolerates very high SPL's, sends a very strong signal and has great range. I purchased one for close micing of a doumbek and it has served me very well in about 3 performances so far (I just got it a bit over a week ago).
Previously I had been using other small dynamics and for a while I used one of my Oktava MK-012's but I had to keep these on a stand. These little Naiants are so small and light I was able to jury-rig a small clip and gaffer's tape and I keep it strapped to the drum. Sound quality is amazing. The mic itself is all of $25. There is a clip that can be adapted for horns and you'll need a small adapter cable. All of this will run you far less than $100 total.

What saxophone??? Bari, tenor, alto, sop??? (Considerably different frequency ranges there!!!)

As a sax player, I'd suggest a dynamic rather than a condenser...

What saxophone??? Bari, tenor, alto, sop??? (Considerably different frequency ranges there!!!)

As a sax player, I'd suggest a dynamic rather than a condenser...

I'll second this. I've recorded soprano and alto quite a bit and a good ole
sm57's sound as good or better than any other mic.

I do like using a LCM for room ambience though.

I agree the SM57 will work fine. The SM81 would also be a good bet for an affordable SDC. Strangely, one of the nicest sounding low-budget mics is the C2 made by Behringer. It has a warm midrange, is surprisingly smooth and has a flat freq response, albeit a little noisy like some of the funky vintage mics I use. I think you can pick up a stereo pair for $60. I'm not a big fan of low-budget condensers, but I've used all of these on sax (alto and tenor mostly) with excellent results.

I've loaded up a jazz improvisation called "Heart Path" that uses a pair of SM81s on electric guitar followed by a pair of C2s on a sax solo at: www.soundclick.com/cliff07

Last edited:
For a jazz combo, SDC, a few hundred $$$, I strongly suggest the Octava MK012. All the other stuff mentioned will also work well (except, generally, the 57 in a wide stereo pair), including the Naiants (which, unlike the other mentioned mics, are omni). The times I used the Naiants I was impressed but I do remember thinking: ". . . they have that Octava (MK012) quality of separating the instruments." Just so you have a point of reference on me, I'm a HUGE fan of Rudy Van Gelder jazz recordings and to me, the MK012 has that quality. It also has a really nice arsenal of optional capsles available. A pair of LDC CAD M177 mics would also be a $200 option for a wide stereo pair and they're not bulky, good S/N, great Lo Hz response, clear and smooth. Then, there's a load of other SDC mics that get mentioned alot on this board and most will probably serve you well once you get used to them. It's still a buyer's market for SDC condensers.

Paj
8^)

I agree Paj

I'm a real big fan of the Oktava MK-012 (I own a matched stereos pair) and I use them quite a bit and I agree that the little Naiant reminds me a lot of the range and signal of the Oktavas.
I think I misunderstood the original post. My original orientation to music has been as a jazz musician and then later I branched out into the Middle-Eastern and West African music world. I've worked with many tenor and alto sax players and they were always looking for a small portable mic that they can hook directly to the bell that didn't weigh too much, and didn't cost a fortune and a half, that's why I thought of the little Naiant X-S.
In a studio setting the EV RE20 was really good on a tenor sax (but of course that is a top of the line dynamic).

a sax player pal of mine used to use an sm98 clip on mic. he seemed to be happy with it but unfortunately i never used it in that application. i know it is somewhat popular there though...

good luck!
Mike

i have had two different jazz sax players in my studio who both requested an akg c391b for their tracks. they use the same mic for live use. i also like the akg c461 and 481 for this application.

Back