Which Sampler?

dannymix

Im going to buy my first sampler soon but am not quite sure what sampler to get?
I have been making music for some time now with synths and computer and dont want a entry level sampler thats going to limit me a month down the line.
I produce Dance,Techno,Trance and am running out of sounds.

First of all how do I use a sampler as compared to a synth? I know you can map out the sounds across the keyboard but theres so many things that I need to know before diving in and spending all my money.

I was looking at somthink like a Yamaha A4000?

Thanks Danny.

A sampler and a synth is 2 different things. Synths are used to synthesize sounds, generate them, mostly starting from very basic waveforms (sine, square, saw...), and this is processed in other blocks (VCO, VCA).

A sampler is used to playback samples. Little bits of music... You probably knew this...

When using them, the difference mainly is that with a synth, you can just start turning knobs, while with a sampler, you need a sample as a starting point. A sampler without samples is useless...

Think the most common samplers are the Yamaha and the Akai's. Someone once told me the filters in the yamaha are very good. No idea. But I know those things are really beasts to play with...

Not knowing what your budget is, but the Boss SP 202 is a fine sampler under a 400 bucks. It has 2 levels of filtering, and 6 effects along with a timr-stretch. It has a sampling rate of 32.5 hz and you can record up to 4 minutes of samples internally on the boxes 8 pads. I bought a 4mb Smart Media card and it allows me to record up to 38 minutes mono and 20 in stereo.
Cool lil box!

Back