which room for control and which for live use?

frequency_

hello again, there is two roms i m going to use, one for band practicing and as a live room for recording instruments, and the other one as control room, both have similar shape but different size...my problem is that i cant decide which one to use as live room and which for control room, should i use the big room for listening and mixing or do the oposite? the way i m thinking to do it is to use the big room as live room but i m not sure if its the right thing to do. i would apreciate any help thanks
Here s a picture of the two rooms

both rooms height is 10.4 feet
(the measurements are done in feet)

Attachments

• rooms.JPG
    rooms.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
frequency,
Are the rooms already built?
If they are and there is not interest in renovating.
I would make the choice based on which one you will spend the most time in and make that the biggest.
If you have practice once a week , but spend 3 nights a week mixing and tracking inside the control room, you will appreciate the bigger room as your control room.

For over 10 years I practiced with my band (7 members) in an 11 by 15 room with no issues other than sweating a little in the Texas heat. Since it was only 1 time a week it was no big deal.
Both rooms would work for either purpose, although the acoustic treating of the smaller one will probably be more extensive. Nothing sounds worse to me than a small room ambiance on recorded instruments and vocals.

I see you are in Greece!
I have alway wanted to go there. My Dad is Greek (100%) as is a lot of family in New York. I believe I have quite a few "cousins" in Cyprus.
I have longed to go see them some day.

Tom Menikos

Tom has the right idea. it does depend on what you intend to do with the studio - mix more or record live bands more? if you're going to mix more, I'd use the larger room for the control room - or - if recording bands is more important, then the larger room is more comfortable for your clients, and might just be better overall esp for drums or piano recordings.

given the 10' ceiling - you'd want to create treatment walls/ceilings to make sure you take advantage of that in either case...

Attachments

• frequency__.jpg
    frequency__.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
thanks a lot guys, yes gulfo i ll be recording live bands and instruments mostly, so i guess the big one for that will be more appropriate then.

Back