which preamp for keyboard

icarus

O.K. I've been trying to record my xv-88 (specifically the piano expansion board) but I just haven't gotten a hot enough signal and I've also gotten some noise. I've got mogami cables and good connectors and the noise is not from the AC. I have been running the line outs straight into my mia soundcard, but now I've decided I need a preamp. Thing is, I don't know dick about preamps. I only need it to handle the synth and that's it. Do you large-brained folk have any suggestions what would be good in the $500.00 to $1000.00 range? I love the actual piano sound from the xv, so I need something that won't alter it much but give me a little boost and maybe clean the signal a little. Please respond because I need serious help. Thanks.

Can you get good clean high enough levels from another source, say a cd player, to verify it's working otherwise? If the keyboard has a line level out, it should be about the same.
If not, you can get one of those little two or four input mixers for around a hundered bucks.

do you have any interest in midi solutions? that keyboard would be ideal for recording midi files.

and no , no preamp for the keyboard...this is more about the A/D conversion, ie, the soundcard.

Back