Which Practice Pad?

reshp1

Does it make a difference? I've seen such big spreads on prices from a few dollars to $30-$40 bucks. I'm kinda liking the tunable Remo one, which looks like a real head. It seems like that one is going to give the most realistic feel. Any thoughts?

Interesting ?

It depends on what you want.
I prefer the actual drum head design by Remo(it can be tightened)
It sounds cool too!
Some people prefer the Gel style.
I say use a Magazine, it will build better chops :)

I haven't used a Remo pratice pad head that lasted long and you can only tighten it so far before the rim bottoms out.

SillyBee said:

I second the Real Feel. But here's what I do:

I practice on a pice of foam, so that it absorbs the stick strikes - that will build the muscles up big time because it forces you to actually manipulate each strike of a roll, but what it doesn't do - is build the response reaction that you get from the stick's rebound.
So, you'll need a drumpad to build up the response factor once you build the muscles.

I have a Remo drumpad, and it is really loud. So, I wound up getting a real feel.
Get the double sided one, you'll be glad you did, and if you get a 12" one, you can put it on a snare stand.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
I second the Real Feel. But her's what I do:

I practice on a pice of foam, so that it absorbs the stick strikes - that will build the muscles up big time because it forces you to actually manipulate each strike of a roll, but what it doesn't do - is build the response reaction that you get from the stick's rebound.
So, you'll need a drumpad to build up the response factor once you build the muscles.

I have a Remo drumpad, and it is really loud. So, I wound up getting a real feel.
Get the double sided one, you'll be glad you did, and if you get a 12" one, you can put it on a snare stand.

Tim

Yes I have a 12" double side that does fit nice on the snare plus! it sits nice on my remo pad/stand combo I use with my Futz Practice Pedals .

I also have a RealFeel 6" double sided I take on trips with the Futz

What's the advantage to having the dual sided one? Is one surface better for building muscles (like the foam idea), and the other simulates the stick rebound? Or something like that?

tourettes5139 said:
What's the advantage to having the dual sided one? Is one surface better for building muscles (like the foam idea), and the other simulates the stick rebound? Or something like that?

Yes

One side is harder/hard...less rebound a litle louder (like a click).

The other is side has a sweet rebound and is VERY quiet....great for late at night or when do not want to disturb others.

pad.jpg

The Vic Firth Heavy Hitters are good also. They are more ment for the marching dudes, but they still feel excellent.

SillyBee said:
Yes I have a 12" double side that does fit nice on the snare plus! it sits nice on my remo pad/stand combo I use with my Futz Practice Pedals .

I also have a RealFeel 6" double sided I take on trips with the Futz

The Futz are a neat idea, but at $45 each, I think I'll continue using my own pedals and homemade practice pads. :D

Tim

E-pad! IMO blows real feel away. Epad uses material softer than drums so when you switch to drums you are fully comfertable with the kit...plus, you can set them up like your own kit for the ultimate comfertability. I endorse them, so I guess I'm obligated to PH a little bit, but I like em. :p

Last edited:
Don't save on the practice pad, If you opt for a cheaper or smaller pad you might end up buying a bigger one later on (like me).
The remo ones are really loud. I have one and rarely use it.

My favourite practice pad so far is the 14" Vic Firth. I chose it over the real feel because the harder surface sounds annoying on the real feel. I still have an old Billy Hyde pad, that I still like because it sounds a little bit like a drum, It's definitely louder than the Vic Firth...

And I have a little ProMark Xpad that I carrie around. These seem to be pretty consistent too.

Stay away from the stagg things. The rubber peels off pretty easily.

Another option is to take an old snare drum and put a trigger head on it.

My only complaint about the RealFeel pad is that it has too much rebound. I usualy altnernate between the RealFeel pad and a couple of magazines. The magazines have little rebound for building strength/stamina, and the ReelFeel for stick control and using the synergy of the rebound.

Back