Which parts is active on a Studer B67 head?

hrn

Which parts are active on a Studer B67 head?

Hi guys,
I wonder if you can help me. Which parts of a Studer B67 head is active?

If I can see some wearing on the blue parts (see my home made pic) but the red parts seems OK, am I OK then do you think?

Hans

Attachments

• tonhuvud_2.jpg
    tonhuvud_2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
A little bit of wear is not a huge problem as long as the wear is even!

If your heads are being worn down unevenly, it may limit the possibility of doing a re-lapping of the heads.

Generally, when the head is near gone, the hum levels come up, the highs go down and the deck may distort more quickly. Also excess shedding of new, healthy tape is a warning sign that the path is a bit jagged.

You should also inspect your guide posts and lifters for wear. If they are showing flat spots, rotate or replace them to keep your tapes healthy.

How does the deck sound currently?

Cheers! :)

Ghost,
Sorry for the very late post..
I have it running now and it sounds awesome. I really makes the final touch I need. A tech has trimmed the in and output amps of it and also checked the freq response of it. It was about +/- 2 dBs between 32Hz - 20khz at 15ips. That's good.

I also have a Telefunken M5 (with its own butterfly heads) which sounds as good as the Studer but has a different flavour, kind of more "open" sounding.

My latest buy is a Revox G36 tube machine. I haven't tried it in the studio yet, but the CD-material I used when testing it got a nice smooth sound...still detailed and with a brilliance.

Back