Which Overhead

I need a pair of overheads for my cymbals should i get the Shure PG81's, AKG 150s, or the MXL 993 Stereo Pair? Help me, I can't decide!!!!!!!!!:confused:

None of the above.

The Shure has poor low frequency response, making it a poor choice for overheads.

The MXL is a Chinese condenser, which almost always means harsh high end, which would make it sound awful on cymbals.

The AKG 150... I don't know what the heck that is. Do you mean AKG Perception 150? If so, that's a relatively new model (last year), and I doubt many people have tried it yet.

My advice is to go with the tried and true: get yourself a pair of Oktava MK-012 mics. A year ago, you'd have had no trouble buying them for the same price as the AKGs... probably $30-40 less than that, even. Unfortunately, thanks to the utter collapse of the U.S. Dollar and an almost nonexistent used market (pretty much nobody decides to sell them), they are hard to find at that price now.

are these better than rode nt5's?

I have no opinion on the Røde, but....

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/41605-oktava-mk012-rode-nt5.html

The folks who replied on that thread seem to generally think so, and the description of the NT5 sound suggests that they lack lows much like the Chinese condensers, the SM-81, etc. That would make them good for guitar, but not so much for overheads, IMHO. That said, I've never even seen a Røde mic, much less used one, so I can't give any personal opinion there.

also, if you dont get a chance to get the oktavas, the akg 150s may be worth looking into. i have used them on overheads before with amazing results

but, then again, i did get a pair of the 150s for $150, so price also makes a diff. :rolleyes:

Back