which OS?

Which OS?

• Windows 2000

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 24 85.7%

• Total voters

Basslord1124

Ok, I'm in the process of building that computer...so far all I need is the soundcard (Audiophile 2496), hard drives, memory, and monitor. I'll probably order most of that stuff in the next few weeks. My question obviously is what would be the best OS for me to go with. I have access to either Windows 2000 or Windows XP (I also have access to previous versions of Windows but who really wants to do that :rolleyes: ). Which would you all recommend? Any patches and fixes I should be aware of?

Oh, and for software, I plan to use Ntrack, CEP, "maybe" Cakewalk, and TRacks.

Thanks ;)

I would go with XP... But either should be fine. It's MS newest OS and they will most likely continue support for it longer than with Win2K. Not that they aren't supporting it currently...

Vice

In terms of support and upgrade path, XP is probably the best choice.

Windows 2000 is the superior OS though IMO...XP without all the broken and annoying stuff :)

Slackmaster 2000

I'd go with XP just because it is what will be supported longer. Drivers will still be updated for it after manufacturers stop releasing win2k updates. And there's nothing wrong with it. especially after visiting www.musicXP.net , you should be all set.

And I disagree with laptoppop, re: XP pro. I have XP home, and I don't know of anything which would cause me to need XP pro (except if I wanted a system with dual processors, then XP pro is a requirement).

-mg

When 2000 came out it had an incomplete list drivers and necerssary components to deconflict driver problems.....XP has fixed that problem...when it comes down to multimedia the XP is designed to have more indigenous compatible items.

HogansHiro said:
When 2000 came out it had an incomplete list drivers and necerssary components to deconflict driver problems.....XP has fixed that problem...when it comes down to multimedia the XP is designed to have more indigenous compatible items.

Completely disagree!!!

Go with 2000!

I think most of what they did with XP is make it more compitable with older Win98 aplication (that Win2000 does'nt sopport, but who needs that?!), and fill it with tons of crap. I find Win2000 more stable than XP and works better with my setting: Cubase SX, Aardvark Direct Pro LX6 and external midi devices.
You can install dual or triple OS on your drive. I have two Win2000 and one XP operating systems installed on different partitions. First Win2000 is dedicated complitely to my home studio, the other Win2000 is a general workstaion (which I use right now) and the XP is for.... trying and testing aplications on that envoriment.
Good luck.

Go with 2000!

I think most of what they did with XP is make it more compitable with older Win98 aplication (that Win2000 does'nt sopport, but who needs that?!), and fill it with tons of crap. I find Win2000 more stable than XP and works better with my setting: Cubase SX, Aardvark Direct Pro LX6 and external midi devices.
You can install dual or triple OS on your drive. I have two Win2000 and one XP operating systems installed on different partitions. First Win2000 is dedicated complitely to my home studio, the other Win2000 is a general workstaion (which I use right now) and the XP is for.... trying and testing aplications on that envoriment.
Good luck.

WIN2k ADMITTED PROBLEMS AS DESCRIBED BY MICROSOFT ITSELF

Win2k has a bug that won't allow more than 10 WDM audio devices.

In Win2k, the 24 bit high audio is truncated to 16 bit, unless you're using an application that bypasses the WDM driver model.

With Kernel Streaming products like Cakewalk's Sonar the Kernel Mixer introduces a ~30ms delay into the audio stream.

All these issues have been in fixed in XP

XP as said is faster and more powerful after you remove all the crap that is not needed, control panel/admin services/services/have fun turning stuff off.
That other link above is great also check www.tweakxp.com
I would think twice about changing the page file settings, maybe just set it on another drive not partition.

HogansHiro said:
Win2k has a bug that won't allow more than 10 WDM audio devices.

Bull. RME blasted this rumor out of the water long ago when they first came out with their WDM drivers in August of 2000.

In Win2k, the 24 bit high audio is truncated to 16 bit, unless you're using an application that bypasses the WDM driver model.

Wrong. Only if you're using wave or direct sound API's, not current low latency WDM. Besides, this was fixed by a service pack.

With Kernel Streaming products like Cakewalk's Sonar the Kernel Mixer introduces a ~30ms delay into the audio stream.

This is also false, again as demonstrated by RME two and a half years ago. It was an issue initially as drivers and software were first moving to WDM, but has long since been resolved. I personally use WDM on Win2k. This is not an issue.

Slackmaster 2000

Slack, you're killing me.....I'll concede. You obviously know each OS better than I do. Just don't take my birthday away for throwing what little nuggets of knowledge (obviously outdated) I had on the subject. At the time of posting I was under the impression all my facts were still valid. :(

laptoppop said:
Go with XP Pro, but then tailor it down to the bare minimum for best performance.

-lee-

Absolute nonsense. The differences between Home and Pro have nothing to do with DAW's (except for multiprocessor support).

The only major difference is that Home does not have the additional networking functionality that support the Remote Desktop feature found in Pro. The other difference is the lack of multiprocessor support like I mentioned above.

I have used both over the past year and they are equally suited for DAW work.

Back